Manually engage AWD

Topic author
betz
I get chills without my van.

Manually engage AWD

Post by betz »

Is there a way to manually engage the AWD on my '05. I know that it is electronically controlled, so I was thinking that it shouldn't be too hard. I've been in a couple of situations this winter where it would have been more beneficial to have all 4 wheels going instead of waiting for the rear to slip first. A button or swith to manually engage/disengage would be ideal. I know that there had been talk of this on the original AS forum, but did anyone ever accomplish it?
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Manually engage AWD

Post by rlsllc »

Someone talked about using the engagement motor (or whatever it's called) from a truck that has a NV246 T-case, since it has a solenoid that will lock the engagement of your front driveline. You can't just electrically lock the one on your NV136 in your van because it is PWM driven and will not stand to be continuously powered (like by a switch).

I may have some of this off a little, but I beleive that that was the jist of what was discussed.

My 1999 NEVER slips the rears tires before the front engages, I guess it has more preload on the clutch or is broke or something. It claws like a wet cat.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

rlsllc wrote: It claws like a wet cat.
i likle that line i'm going to use it from now on

would it be possible to make the computer think the tires slipped with a push to connect or disconnect (which ever might be neccesary) to interupt the signal from the rear?
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Wet Claw - I like that as well! :D
Mine is a 97, no switch (tow/haul) but it works like a charm!!! Could someone with more knowledge post on the differences in our AWDs?
I am sure mine does not wait for a wheel slip to happen before the fronts are engaged. I once had Safari on jacks and if I just let off the brake all four turns right away. I do not know how the power is split in mine however for the newer models say 2003+ is it really 90% back and 10% front in ideal conditions? I doubt it but I threw that number out there because someone from the deal said that. I told them mine isnt like that it is all mechanical (97) and proof was the multiple times I have had it on jack stands or tires in the air :D
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

from what I remember about the conversation I have with lifted 1998 and down had full time awd with a viscose coupler transfer case which means that the front only pulls when it detects a difference in speed between front and rear but there is almost no lag (as in like milliseconds). from 1999 and up the awd drive was electronically controlled when the computer senses the tire speed difference it would look the axles together temporarily with only minor lag (I’m sure the people with them know the feeling when it kicks in all of a sudden). now where the transfer cases that are electronically driver controlled fit in I have no idea I’m pretty sure it was in that 1998-1999 year.

someone who knows for sure please correct where I made a mistake

HMB
Cobra
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

Topic author
betz

Post by betz »

YOu are pretty much rght on Cobra, except for your last comment about the driver controlled transfer cases. I have no idea what you are referring to there. And I don't know how the tow/haul button got into the conversation either. But, I do have that.

Used to have a '96 AWD, that my brother has now. Heh, my dad had different size tires from the front to back, and didn't know any better. Those older ones essentially had a plate from the rear shaft and a plate from the front. When the "high viscosity" fluid inside heated up just a little it would turn into a thick silicone and harden up between the two plates. This would sort of connect the rear to the front via the thick fluid. Well, having different size tires between front and back caused a continual difference in how fast those two plates were turning and couldn't match it up just right (for obvious reasons). So, the temp inside the transfer case got too high and ended up welding the plates together. As a result: full time 4wd, and lots of binding while trying to turn in the parking lot. Solution: Buy a new transfer case. Cost: it was wither $700 or $900. Can't remember for sure. That was a pretty expensive mistake for my dad. Of course, he had me drive down state to pick it up, and then made me install it. So, labor was essentiall free. Not too bad of a job really, just had to disconnect some drive shafts and pull some bolts, then use a jack to put it back into place and re mount it.
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i remember peter saying something about turning his awd on and off like how you can pull the fuse out in 99+ vehicles to only run rwd pretty sure there are a couple other people who have done it.

the tow/haul button is related to the transmission not the transfer case as far as i know
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Makes sense to me so far. I like my 97 :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There has been no solution to electronically locking the 99 and newer NP136 transfer cases. There have been a few people who have installed a toggle switch in-line with the power feed (from the ATC fuse) to electronically disable the AWD.

Peter has a NP241C transfer case. This is a manually activated 2 speed case. He also has a Posi-Lock for the front diff that will allow him to run in 2WD LOW range if needed. I have a NP231C transfer case and it is also manually activated by a lever.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Betz,
One of the best improvements for your van would be the locker. I have the G8 and have not had any problems with lag time on my '99.
Your 4x4 is in reality a two wheel drive. (1 rear wheel and 1 front wheel being driven)With a posi rear you at least become a 3 wheel drive :bounce:
I sometimes wish I had a hi-lo range set-up...especially for trying to push back piles of snow.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
betz

Post by betz »

Hey Dunedog,
I actually had a positive auto locking differential (Lock Right by Richmond) in my rear end until last night. Found that it was attributing to the crazy handling of my van on the highway since the sucker is always locked unless you're actually in a turn. Anyhow, would love to have a G80 in there, but I'm going to give it some time. Maybe I will put one in come next winter. I just wanted the ability to lock in the AWD without my tires having to slip first.
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar