Moog / TRW Variable Rate Coil Springs

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Moog / TRW Variable Rate Coil Springs

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Has anyone tried the Moog / TRW variable rate coil springs?

Like these:
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdeta ... 59&PTSet=A

I just bought a set (yeah I should have asked your opinions first) and they won't be here for a week or so. I'm gonna be doing my 4" spindle lift in the next week or two and I figured I should replace the 11 year old springs while I'm in there. The variable rate springs start at 622# rate under the load of the van, which is the same rate as Overlands 1.5" lift coil spring. I just realized that, and now I'm really hoping that doesn't screw up my lift. I have the 2" body spacers in already, and I was shooting for a 6" lift front and back. But these springs might make it 7.5" in front!

Would love to hear from someone who has tried variable rate springs in any type of vehicle.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Moog / TRW Variable Rate Coil Springs

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Ummmmm....... :-s

I guess I'll let you know how they work out!
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

OK, been driving to work for a week now on very crappy roads with these variable rate springs so I can now give them a review:

I have not really noticed any difference in the ride at all! Which is a good thing! That's how they're supposed to work, just like stock under normal conditions, and stiffer under heavy loads. I haven't really driven with a heavy load yet, but will in the next few weeks. So I can comment on that part later.

I have slightly increased my un-sprung weight (weight beneath the spring) by running 31"x10.5" tires. It is possible that if you were running these coils with a stock tire, you know those teeeeeny-tiny ones that I haven't used in so long I forgot what size they are, you may notice the coils seem a bit stiffer than the stock ones.

One major difference I have noticed is that the front end no longer sinks when I'm reversing up a hill. Which is great because my tires used to rub doing that with the stock coils.

Here are size comparisons between stock on left and variable rate "cargo coil" on the right:

Note: the coils are upside down in these photos.

The new coil is about 1" taller than stock, and the same diameter. You do need an inside type coil spring compressor to install them, unlike stock which can be compressed enough under the vehicle weight to install.

I paid about $150 for these coils shipped from Partsamerica.com. You can get them on Amazon.com for like $60 plus shipping, so for perhaps less than $100.

So far I am very pleased with them!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

First off-thanks for the review.I think that will be very helpful to many members here.Got me thinking if, with a (yeah guys I decided to do a 4" lift over a 3")sub frame spacer style lift,I would be happy with the stock springs giving the prime use of Ole Yellar is towing my smaller vendor trailer.Any thought????.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I think anyone who's putting on bigger tires or carrying a heavy load would get the most use out of these. For towing I'm not sure. Seems the front end suspension is not all that important for towing unless your trailer doesn't have it's own set of brakes. I would think your small trailer doesn't have it's own brakes, so your front end might take a nose dive when braking hard. But if that were the case, you'd probably have noticed it already and be thinking you need new springs. I can tell you that once the van is lifted it will drive very different than what you're used to. Especially with huge tires.

Can't say anything for sure about how it will affect other peoples rides, but they work great in mine! I can hit speed bumps really hard and there's no tires grinding into the fender or bounce afterwards. I would think people with V8's might benefit too since they have additional weight up front.

You know it's really weird. While I was working on lifting my Safari I borrowed my girlfriends moms Safari of the same year. With mine lifted riding on mudders I can tell you it rides 100 times smoother than her completely stock Safari! My van's ride is smooth as butter. The only time I feel any vibrations is when I'm coming to a stop and you can feel the tread lugs one by one on the pavement. But above say 5 mph it drives like a luxury sedan.

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I am just disappointed that your farmer wrench is made in china.... LOL - thanks for the pics.... keep us posted on these springs
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Yes, well...........it truly disappoints me too. But I'm sure I'll be just smitten with my super high interest loan (tax rebate check) from China if it ever comes. Then I can buy more crap made in China! I need to invest in some American steel soon, perhaps a nice Smith and Wesson for the day they decide to cross the ocean and collect on that loan! :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Just finished moving a few weeks ago and transported some very heavy loads. These springs performed great! They also handle my daily pothole plugging without issues.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO