Clicking noise from rear.

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
MrrMoose
I am merely driving my van

Clicking noise from rear.

Post by MrrMoose »

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting in here every since I found this site about 2 months ago so, I would like to give a brief history on my van. I bought my very first astro van about 2 months ago and I love it. The person I bought it off of did very little on the maintenance side of it. So, before I bought I did a carfax on it and revealed that the vehicle had like over 200000 miles on it and also an accident. The guy swore up and down that it only has over 150000. He said the reason for the discrepancy is because he had to repalce the dash console odomoeter thingy (sorry don't know too much about cars but I'm learning with my astro) so every time he went to get an inspection the mileage came up wrong. I really didn't care too much because when I took it for a drive the engine sounded very nice and drive was comfortable. A buddy of mine at work has an astro with 230000 miles and said that these vans last forever.

When I bought the can I replaced the sparks, wires, dist. cap and rotor, oil change, changed the tranny fluid and filter and put new shocks in the rear. I never worked on any of my cars until I bought this astro van. So, i'm learning as I go with the help of haynes repair book.

My problem is this....everytime I get out of the van or go over a small bump or even push on the side of the van there is this clicking noise that happens. I don't even know where to look and If I did I wouldn't know what to do. Sometimes I hear it in the front when I'm driving. Who the hell knows it's really annoying.

I do know this that the when I push the van from the side theclicking noise is coming from the rear and sounds like it's coming from behind the tire. If anyone can help I would appreciate it because it's really driving me nuts. Thanks!!!

Moose
2000 Chevrolet Astro Van
2WD Original Engine 4.3L
Currently Has 82000 miles on it (CONSOLE THIUNGY WAS CHANGED THATS WHY) BUT Previous Owner Said Over 150000 AND CARFAX had 320000 Miles. WHO KNOWS lol

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Clicking noise from rear.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome Moose. Fill in your signature so we know what you have for a van...year, engine, AWD or 2WD etc.

For your noise...tighten the rear shocks up again. They have come loose and it won't be very much either.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Could also be a little wear in the 'C' clip axles. Welcome, Moose. This is a great site. Lots of good people willing to help. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
MrrMoose

Post by MrrMoose »

Thanks for the Quick Replies!

I just Tightened the rear schocks but unfortunately the noise is still there. It actually occurs more often when we are driving.

What is a "c" clip on the axle? Thanks a bunch.
2000 Chevrolet Astro Van
2WD Original Engine 4.3L
Currently Has 82000 miles on it (CONSOLE THIUNGY WAS CHANGED THATS WHY) BUT Previous Owner Said Over 150000 AND CARFAX had 320000 Miles. WHO KNOWS lol

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The 'C' clip is on the end of the axle inside the differential. It holds the axle in place. When they wear or if the side gear thrust washer wears it allows the axle to move a small amount. If it's not excessive there's nothing to worry about. It's a very commom ailment. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Welcome Moose. Fill in your signature so we know what you have for a van...year, engine, AWD or 2WD etc.

For your noise...tighten the rear shocks up again. They have come loose and it won't be very much either.

Assuming you didn't have the noise before replacing the shocks, I'd still guess this is the problem.

After replacing my shocks, I had noises and had to retighten. I couldn't imagine that was the problem as they sure seemed tight, but after really putting some weight on the wrench, the noise went away.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

did you make sure the new shocks are the correct PN? maybe the shock body diameter is too large and it is hitting something on compression.

Topic author
MrrMoose

Post by MrrMoose »

I'm sorry I should have been a little more clear. The noise was there before I changed the shocks. Yesterday, I was driving and I actually realized that how much worse the clicking noise had gotten. I mean every little bump I was hitting the clicking noise would occur. Unbelievable, I just don't know what else to look for that would make that noise. It's REALLY freaking annoying lol. Thanks for all your replies.
2000 Chevrolet Astro Van
2WD Original Engine 4.3L

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

You may have a set of these making noise in the rear.....
http://www.bullsballs.com/
:muhaha:
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Rudedaddy

Post by Rudedaddy »

I OWN A 2001 SAFARI CARGO 2 WD over 250,000km... with the same exact problem.....

:rolleyes: I changed the two rear shocks ( made sure they were tight ) greased all the springs , clamps and this dam clicking noise is still there. That is going over small bumbs with two rear tires ... also when in a decending level into a parking garage for instance , get a clicking noise ...it sounds like comming from the center rear of vehicle...... also accellerating and stopping.... It is driving me mad... I brought it in to a mechanic and he did not find any thing that was causing this problem... I'm at a loss too..... :rolleyes: I am supprised that no one has come across this problem before.... Rudedaddy

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

how old are the ujoints. I've heard them make clicking noises before when worn out.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

sidecar53
I get chills without my van.

Post by sidecar53 »

Thanks to all for this thread!! I've had a few problems with my Safari lately including a clicking sound coming from the pass rear wheel well area anytime the suspension loads or unloads. I threw money at the other problems, but the clicking was driving me nuts. After reading this post, I took the wheel off to have a look and lo and behold- the top bolt holding the shock on had backed off about 1/2 a turn. Tightened it and now all I hear is my stereo!!! :bounce:
Windsor, Ontario
2004 GMC Safari SLE