Different big tire idea.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Different big tire idea.

Post by ihatemybike »

Come on, the Liberties aren't that bad. They are much more capable stock than most people give them credit for and just like every Jeep they only get better once you start modifying them. True the front diff should be stronger than what it is, but adding a diff collar appears to remedy that problem. Having run with the Liberty crowd for a while now, comparing the stock Libby to the stock Astro AWD, the Libbies are better off road. It's mostly the due to approach, departure, and break over angles, but the lower gearing and slightly higher ground clearance helps too.

Lots of people say the new 4 door Wranglers are the ruin of Jeep, things have a longer wheelbase than our vans, and require more back and forth jockeying on tight trails. YJs were the ruin of Jeep too, as were the uni-frame Cherokees. A Jeep that you can't perform a body lift on outrageous. The Compass and Patriot are both currently taking a beating from the core Jeep crowd, but given a few years when the owners aren't so scared of scratching them, a few aftermarket companies making lifts and skids for them, they'll be out on the trails too doing stuff people will first shake their head at then accept.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree, the Libertys don't do all that bad in stock form. And yes they are better for off road than our Astro and Safaris are in stock form. The Compass and Patriot were built to provide a more "car-like" ride for the typical "soccer mom" that wanted a Jeep but not the gas guzzling rough ride typically associated with Jeep. They also don't have low range but they were not designed to be "trail ready" either.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

T.Low wrote:How much room is there before you hit the front doors?
Bingo! This has always been my concern. But what about this.... What if a person decided to do a weld in subframe lift and moved the lift blocks slightly aft before welding them in place? An inch maybe? Two might really be pushing it. I don't expect this would be easy in that it affects a whole lot of other stuff... engine placement, steering shaft, electrical, hoses, yikes! But I've thought about it...
T.Low wrote:Question: Technically speaking, is "ground clearence" one measurement of the lowest point, or more of a combination of measurements that includes, lowest point overall clearence, break over clearence, and approach angles?
Technically it is the lowest point on the vehicle. It used to always be at the front or rear differential, but on many vehicles today it will be at the A-arm on the front suspension, or even a tranny mount or shock mount.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Don't waste too much time on this one. I've tried increasing wheelwell clearance on ZZ and though it helped, I still had interference issues. And that's on-road.
I love seeing tires that fill up a wheelwell a la 80's-90's Pathfinder. As such, I originally ran my 325/60R15's on custom 10" rims with stock offset using only the Overlands body lift out front and the shackle kit out back. Looked great but rubbed all the time.
If you'd like, I can dig up and post pics of the mosts I made to my fenderwells, especially at the front door area. Definitely helped, but if you're gunning for any semi-serious axle articulation, you'de better be running girly tires.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SAS H3T
I am smitten with my van

Post by SAS H3T »

Look, Ive wheeled with a couple of Libbys. They broke. They were not ready to play.To add insult to injury, the front axle had a factory flaw in that they ran a oil passage to allow the gear splash to lubricate the bearing in the high pinion...but it ran along the spine of the diff....in an ALUMINUM housing!!!!! When you destroyed this axle by offroading with it....guess who paid for the repair? That's right....cause it was a Jeep that wasn't supposed to be wheeled, according to DAIMLER/chrysler...
I owned one of the unibody Cherokees in question. It was a superior product right out of the box. It had a 104" wheelbase that is the "magic" number, if you offroad much. It could outperform 94" wheelbases all day. Eventaully, I added full sized solid axles from a half-ton and 10 inches of lift running 38.5 tires. I also owned a Comanche with the same amount, and finally a smattering of Wranglers. NOBODY who builds the things even WANTED a body lift. We currently own the four door Wrangler hardtop. It reminds me of my Cherokee....except that the doors and top will come off (to me that's a plus).
On the axle issue...I think both of us Deans here have bumped their solid axles forward at least three inches.
Making my county a safer place thru active participation in local politics.
http://www.tooconservative.com - I am " The Bulletproof Monk".
Newsflash!!!! I just opened my own county political blog!!!
http://thebulletproofmonk.blogspot.com/

1995 Astro
Solid axle conversion
1 ton axles
Hummer front clip

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I guess all the Libbies I've wheeled with were ready to play.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Dean, you are right. The SPB's front axle is forward about 2-3".
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy