Lifted Van Pics...

Post photos, video of your van

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Lifted Van Pics...

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site, ra. Nice van and yes we would like ALL of the pics. One thing you will learn about this site is that we love pics.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Awesome van raSafari! Love the front bumper/grill guard combo. I see you built in anchor points as well. =D>

Please post up the full build in the Van Camper section! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Awesome van raSafari! Love the front bumper/grill guard combo. I see you built in anchor points as well. =D>

x2 :cheers:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrozam wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Awesome van raSafari! Love the front bumper/grill guard combo. I see you built in anchor points as well. =D>

x2 :cheers:
X3!

Very nice!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Nice raSafari!

raSafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by raSafari »

Thanks... appreciate it! It's been a learning process for sure, as this is my first van. Lots of projects in the future as well.

The interior build is basic, but fits me comfortably. I travel a lot and play outside, so after debating vehicles and seeking counsel from friends I decided on an Astro/Safari build. So far so perfect...

Sorry for the multiple posts... the forum only let's me attach three at a time?
Attachments
re-padded & re-carpeted the floor.  It's not a pop-top, so I spend a lot of time on my knees and the padding really makes a difference.  No jokes now...
re-padded & re-carpeted the floor. It's not a pop-top, so I spend a lot of time on my knees and the padding really makes a difference. No jokes now...
Final battery box & 700w inverter assembly behind drivers seat.
Final battery box & 700w inverter assembly behind drivers seat.
Deep Cell & fuse box behind drivers seat.  The fuse box is mounted to a divider that I have behind the drivers seat.
Deep Cell & fuse box behind drivers seat. The fuse box is mounted to a divider that I have behind the drivers seat.

raSafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by raSafari »

raSafari Continued...
Attachments
The passenger seat is set on a swivel.  Tall (6'2") riders might have some issues with head space, as the swivel raised the height of the seat over an inch.
The passenger seat is set on a swivel. Tall (6'2") riders might have some issues with head space, as the swivel raised the height of the seat over an inch.
After a paint job in bed liner, the grill guard was mounted over the factory bumper, which was cut in a pre-runner design.
After a paint job in bed liner, the grill guard was mounted over the factory bumper, which was cut in a pre-runner design.
The drivers side bumper mount was 1/4" off from the passenger side mount, and the raSafari hasn't been in an accident.  I guess they come staggered off the assembly line?  It threw in some raised eyebrows when mounting the grill guard, but I had some plates welded on to even it out.
The drivers side bumper mount was 1/4" off from the passenger side mount, and the raSafari hasn't been in an accident. I guess they come staggered off the assembly line? It threw in some raised eyebrows when mounting the grill guard, but I had some plates welded on to even it out.

raSafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by raSafari »

More raSafari interior. Glad you like photos, I've enjoyed documenting the build!

I gotta say... it's a really fun project... but nothing gets me stoked more than when a stranger on the side of the street gives the van a thumbs up or when someone stares really hard at the van.... and eventually smiles.
Attachments
Here are the shelves without drawers or plastic bins for storage.  A stove has been mounted on the top and the whole unit has been screwed into the frame of the van so there is no movement. The divider is nice; makes it feel more cozy when living in the back, plus protects the driver's seat from heat from the stove.
Here are the shelves without drawers or plastic bins for storage. A stove has been mounted on the top and the whole unit has been screwed into the frame of the van so there is no movement. The divider is nice; makes it feel more cozy when living in the back, plus protects the driver's seat from heat from the stove.
Built a bed in the rear that sleeps sideways (I'm 5'8", a perfect sideways fit) and took out the passenger side speaker fascia (took up too much room) and wired up a reading lamp on the unused seat belt mount.  I also added some trim to the sides for looks.
Built a bed in the rear that sleeps sideways (I'm 5'8", a perfect sideways fit) and took out the passenger side speaker fascia (took up too much room) and wired up a reading lamp on the unused seat belt mount. I also added some trim to the sides for looks.

Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jennifer »

Where did you get the awesome grille guard?
1995 GMC Safari AWD

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Nice van.Could you please give more details of the bed??.I have something similar planed for my Ole Yellar project with a sleeper across the van right behind the seats.I measure ruffly 69" across wall to wall.So far I have looked at some of the semi truck supplier mattress that can be custom ordered for a size.They are the memory foam type.If you need a mattress,you might want just google search for that.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

raSafari wrote:Built a bed in the rear that sleeps sideways (I'm 5'8", a perfect sideways fit)
Really? There's only 4'7.5" between the walls (with factory interior trim).

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Well, he is sleeping up at glass level and using that extra space. Plus it looked like he removed most of the trim and that frees up a lot of room.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

raSafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by raSafari »

My apologies, I should have posted that in the Van Camper Section. I'll add a link there...

I ripped out all of the rear trim over the wheel wells... those plastic/carpet cabinets take up a huge amount of space. With those out, two of us (she's 5'2") fit well. The bed is plywood with some nicer pieces for trim. I bought a piece of 2" thick foam from a local upholsterer and bought another piece of memory foam for the top of that. It's almost more comfortable than my bed in my house, and almost as expensive (foam prices are based on gasoline prices...) all told it ran me $200 in foam. But it's low profile, comfortable and it fits. I ran into a small issue with the rear AC unit that came with the van. I wanted to rip it out of the back to give more room for the bed but in a hurry I decided to just cut be bed around it instead of bleeding the AC and capping the pipes. It hasn't turned into a space issue.

This was my second attempt at a bed. The first attempt was with a folding bench seat because I wanted the option to transport more than 2 people with seat belts. It made a comfortable seat, but the bed was short for two people (the rear trim was still in place) but I slept comfortably diagonally. The seat is for sale.

Since I'm traveling throughout the winter, I recently insulated the back windows with bubble wrap reflective foil. It's attached to the glass with suction cups and has dramatically changed the temps inside, especially since I sleep just below the window height.

I built and fab'ed the grill guard with a local welder. I wasn't impressed with what I found out there in existence, nor was my wallet. I told him what I wanted, drew and measured it up and he put it together. He was psyched on the project, as was I. I didn't want to fab or buy bumper relocation brackets. Heck, this is a lifted Safari - I want it to look good, plus now there is a little more protection on the front end.

Thanks for the comments!
Attachments
The final product: Bamby Basher
The final product: Bamby Basher
The old bed/bench seat combo.  The bench seat folds out.
The old bed/bench seat combo. The bench seat folds out.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:...sleeping up at glass level and using that extra space....
Exactly. 68"(5'8") from glass to glass. When I get to the interior on my Blue van...I'm thinking to have the drivers rear side window area either swing up/out or perhaps make a 12" slide out...which may or may not retain the glass, probably would have to make a metal or wood panel.

biggreenoger
I am smitten with my van

Post by biggreenoger »

raSafari wrote: I built and fab'ed the grill guard with a local welder. I wasn't impressed with what I found out there in existence, nor was my wallet. I told him what I wanted, drew and measured it up and he put it together. He was psyched on the project, as was I. I didn't want to fab or buy bumper relocation brackets. Heck, this is a lifted Safari - I want it to look good, plus now there is a little more protection on the front end.

Thanks for the comments!
Ya'll guys with these custom bumpers are killing me! Its going to be so hard to make one with out being a copy of one allready made. I'll give it a try but if i do copy yours, its only out of flattery.. Looks great.
Its a DIESEL thing!