Removing headrest on newer Astro LT and Safari SLT

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Removing headrest on newer Astro LT and Safari SLT

Post by 2002Safari »

Removing headrest on newer Astro LT and Safari SLT.

The headrest will move up around 3 notches but will not remove, which is possibly a safety factor.

The pivot for the arm rest came unwelded. I needed to remove the upholstery for welding, but the headrest was stopping the progress.

I undid the clip strip on the bottom of the seat back and the clip on the door side of the seat. I found the plastic strip that the headrest rods ride in. I found via feel a spring loaded stop that allowed the headrest to be removed.

After I welded the seat back together, I found that I could have removed the headrest easily by pressing the tabs thru the upholstery. To locate the tabs, pull the headrest all the way up. Follow each rod down into the upholstery to just ¼’ above the pipe on the front of the seat and press to release the stay keeper. The headrest should remove while you are pressing on the keepers and pushing up on the headrest.

I now have my seat fixed and can really lounge again while driving. What a delight!
2002 Safari SLT

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Removing headrest on newer Astro LT and Safari SLT

Post by crash »

2002Safari wrote:After I welded the seat back together, I found that I could have removed the headrest easily by pressing the tabs thru the upholstery. To locate the tabs, pull the headrest all the way up. Follow each rod down into the upholstery to just ¼’ above the pipe on the front of the seat and press to release the stay keeper. The headrest should remove while you are pressing on the keepers and pushing up on the headrest.
any chance you could post a pic or two of where exactly this can be felt through the seat. or .. what it looks like? I don't know of anyone that has successfully removed a headrest, many have asked.

this would be a VERY helpful one...

thanks (then I'll have it moved it to the interior/exterior forum and make it a sticky)
:yawinkle: Rob
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Re: Removing headrest on newer Astro LT and Safari SLT

Post by sfeaver »

Here it is from the service manual. I've had my headrests out too, its easy to do.

Scott