What is the problem with Astro van torsion bars?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
peppy
I am smitten with my van

What is the problem with Astro van torsion bars?

Post by peppy »

Does anyone know specifically the problems with the torsion bars on early year Astro vans? Im interested in knowing the precise problem that these torsion bars have.

Thank you!!!!

Peppy!

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What is the problem with Astro van torsion bars?

Post by snapple »

They would rust in the extensions that went from the back of the crossmember and fit over the end of the bars.The bars would crack & break inside of the extenders,at least on mine they did! I couldn't even see the break until I had the bar out.The newer bars are just shorter without the extenders.Mine was sitting in the driveway when we heard a loud crack or snapping noise!The front drivers side was almost sitting on the front tire after the bar broke! Luckily that didn't happen on vacation,which we were set to leave for in 2 more days!
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

similar situation on mine....fine on thursday when I parked it, friday morning, the right front looks like a lowrider...... looking for replacement parts today.... on thread for SAFARI TRIED TO ESCAPE.....

did you pay someone to fix yours during those two days, or do it yourself?
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Actually I had to order them from Dan at Overland Vans. He has the best prices for the newer style torsion bars. Took a week to get, then I did the job myself. Hardest part of the job was removing the old rusted in bars! GM don't sell the old style. So to get just one of the older style,you'd need to find it at the junk yard. If you can,go with the newer style and replace both.
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

question for you guys with older style bars that went to the newer style...been trying to get this answered for a bit.....

did you also have to upgrade to newer torsion keys or did the old one's work?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

answered on other thread.... but new bars need new keys, got mine from Murray's and for $145 plus tas for each..... and came with new key (heard them called pork chops... because of shape)

if your old style ones are anything like mine, you'll have to burn them off and keys (if they would fit new bars) wouldn't be of much use anyway....

got one side done, and will get to the other soon....

My new ones where made in Mexico, but I've been told the originals were as well.... I hope new ones last as long or longer than the old ones......
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)