95 350 TBI roller upgrade.... Is it possible?

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

95 350 TBI roller upgrade.... Is it possible?

Post by Xephius »

Hey all,

So I have a 95 TBI 350 out of a G20 van........ And I want to upgrade it to a roller cam, and roller lifters. I have been told that after about '89 all the 350's had support for the roller lifters, just not the lifters or the spider to support them. Can anyone confirm that I can just drop in a set of roller lifters, cam and hold down spider without any modification to the block?

Thanks,
X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: 95 350 TBI roller upgrade.... Is it possible?

Post by Rebel »

That would be correct although I'm not sure on start date but the 95 would be ready for roller. Just need lifters, spider and keepers and roller cam and not sure on this, but self aligning rockers I believe.

Here's the parts and a fair price if your looking for low mile stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-5-7L ... .m14.l1318
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

[quote="Rebel"]That would be correct although I'm not sure on start date but the 95 would be ready for roller. Just need lifters, spider and keepers and roller cam and not sure on this, but self aligning rockers I believe.

Here's the parts and a fair price if your looking for low mile stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350-5-7L ... .m14.l1318
/quote]

Thanks for the ref Larry.Not sure until I get the donor 350 apart if it is a roller or not.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

It involves more than just bolting on parts. The block is "cast" for a roller cam but it will still need to be machined for the tappet guide plates, drilled and tapped for the hold down and something else I think. After market rollers would be a lot easier. If you are lucky it may already be machined but not likely.

BTW, I found this out the hard way.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

lockdoc wrote:It involves more than just bolting on parts. The block is "cast" for a roller cam but it will still need to be machined for the tappet guide plates, drilled and tapped for the hold down and something else I think. After market rollers would be a lot easier. If you are lucky it may already be machined but not likely.

BTW, I found this out the hard way.
You got most of the points for this question. I will add that the block where the anti cam walk keeper fits for the roller cams also has to be tapped. Like Bill said, you may be lucky and have a fully machined block already. Good luck with your plans!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

That Ebay kit looks the exact same as on my `92 4bolt block that was cast to be a roller....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I have the 350 engine from a 92 GMC Vandura awaiting machining and I can tell you that not all post-1987 small blocks have the bosses in the valley for the rollercam lifter spider--mine sure doesn't. There's also no machining on the front of the block to hold an OEM rollercam in place, either, so a cam button would have to be used.
Using the aftermarket to convert the block to roller really bumps up the cost; if I recall correctly, it costs around $700 to get the toggle-bar type lifters.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I think you'll find his 95 is machined. May be wrong but would never admit it. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words