Engine/AC Running Warm When Outside Temps Are Above 104

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
ricoman
I am merely driving my van

Engine/AC Running Warm When Outside Temps Are Above 104

Post by ricoman »

Maybe some of you guys might know what to do about this problem. I have a 2000 AWD and I live here in Vegas and its blazing hot...(113*) today. My operating temperature(195-200) is fine no matter what the temp is outside. If the AC is not used all day the temp gauge stays normal and moves very little....and even when the AC is on its good for about 20-30 minutes and then the temp creeps up to around 225, especially in rush hour traffic. At this temp and being in traffic the AC warms up and it gets to the point that sometimes you start to sweat. Then when traffic starts to move the AC starts to cool down again but it takes about 5-10mins of driving for the engine temps come down, but still it drops to only about 210. Is this normal in this part of the country for some vehicles running in this heat? Its not a problem until the outside temps reach about 104 or more. Is there something wrong somewhere? I am also using a tranny cooler in the grill. Also I thought about changing the thermostat to 180 and adding a 14" pusher fan in the grill. Your thoughts.............Thanks ](*,)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Engine/AC Running Warm When Outside Temps Are Above 102

Post by astrozam »

Every system has a point at which it starts to labour, if its 102F and your in heavy traffic ( and not getting much air flow thru your condensor ) then i would say your system is acting perfectly normal. I'm going to assume that if you got going out on a hwy where you'd have good air flow that your A.C temps would start to feel cooler fairly shortly,is this the case or does it stay warm? if so, then you may be a little low on refrigerant.

Topic author
ricoman

Re: Engine/AC Running Warm When Outside Temps Are Above 104

Post by ricoman »

Yep.........your right. As soon as you get moving again everything cools down. Thanks

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Your welcome :cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would add a 14 to 16" pusher fan for when sitting in traffic. At those temps I am surprised it cools at all! :yikes:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Yep,
During a talk I was having with a mechanic friend of mine about moving the tranny cooler away from the A/C condensor he stated the condensor can get very hot.What Lifted is saying makes sense.

The other thing we have found in our racing operation is anti-freeze take alot to get hot,but once it is hot,it takes alot longer than water to cool down.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Another thing to check is the condition of the fan clutch. If that is slipping you will run warmer. But if its 110 degrees outside, that may be a normal temperature. Do other cars run that warm too? From my experience the Astro fan moves just as much air as a car with electric fans. I changed a factory clutch with another after about 7 years or so from new.

Scott

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

If you run your finger across the front of the fan clutch, do you pick up dust and dirt? if so this means that the fan clutch is leaking and needs to be replaced.

A condensor fan would be an excellent choice also.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

You got me thinking about mine, I ended up changing my clutch again as the idle AC temperatures werent as low as I would have liked. I put a new Hayden one on, and it moves one hell of alot of air at idle. It is cheap enough, would be worth doing on yours. I thought my old one was cooling fine, and really it was. But not like this one at idle. Moves one ton of air!

Scott

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

sfeaver wrote:You got me thinking about mine, I ended up changing my clutch again as the idle AC temperatures werent as low as I would have liked. I put a new Hayden one on, and it moves one hell of alot of air at idle. It is cheap enough, would be worth doing on yours. I thought my old one was cooling fine, and really it was. But not like this one at idle. Moves one ton of air!

Scott
Have any pics to share of that procedure?

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

No, I never even thought of it..

s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by s10-den »

One fan that is better than stock and will bolt right up is the 7 blade fan from a blazer or cop car.And get a HD clutch for it.Cools ALOT better than the stock 5 blade fan
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news