Choosing an OBD scan tool.

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Choosing an OBD scan tool.

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hey guys.

I'm looking to get a PC scan tool for my van to diagnose various problems. I'd like to be able to get real time data for all the sensors, graphs, and obviously trouble codes, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. I have a laptop with USB ports.

I know you can get cheap ELM (322 and 327) based solutions on ebay and stuff, but some people say it's not as good. Apparently the communication speed of the ELM chip is slow (http://www.obdii.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000359.html). Autotap uses something called LDV and it's proprietary and expensive, and you probably have to use their software. I've read that some interfaces don't give you access to all the parameters you can get through the OBD2 port, only basic ones.

Anybody experienced with this have any advice?

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Re: Choosing an OBD scan tool.

Post by 2002Safari »

I bought an ELM 322 unit some 3 years or so ago. I used freeware software which allowed me to full codes and reset them. It did the job I needed. I paid some $70 for each of them. I've used the GM and ISO version.

Were I to buy again, I would spend the $200 to get the "all in one" type with commercial software. I haven't reviewed what is available. What I do now is you can do performance testing as well as debugging. I am more interested in problem areas than 0 to 60 timing; however, the two may be more inter-related than I may think.
2002 Safari SLT

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

You could have gotten the ELM 327 which will handles GM and ISO.

I'm not interested in 0-60 either, but more so the realtime sensor readout. So what would you spend your $200 on now?

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I know it doesn't hook up to a laptop, but I'm quite happy with my ScanGaugeII.

http://www.scangauge.com/
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Check out this site... this is the software I use on my laptop:

http://www.bowserelectronics.com/

I also have a Scangauge too which works well, but the software will show alot more.

Scott

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

]
Scangauge and Gentel (or something) scanner.
Scott do you know of a good software / scanner for pre-OBD2?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I have Autotap... it works good but really is nothing special, maybe if you were to buy all of the extras... but then again it is not $1000's like a snap on :poke: I would give it 1 thumb up.. I like the sensor readouts, they have come in handy. It always finds the vehicle info (VIN) except on a hyundai, I had to enter it manually.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by 92astro »

what is a Autotap? and can i ues it on my 1992 astro and how much is it and can you post a pic??
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

it is for all 96 and newer vehicles
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

92astro wrote:what is a Autotap? and can i ues it on my 1992 astro and how much is it and can you post a pic??
For your '92, if you have a laptop, you could use this: http://winaldl.joby.se/
If you are electronically inclined they show you how to make your own cable. If not (like me), you can buy one online.
The site shows a bunch of screen shots of the software, which is free btw.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Wow awesome resources!
Just curious does anyone know where / have CD of diagnostic codes?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

you can probably find what you are looking for here: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

As anyone can imagine, nothing beats the OEM professional scan tool. I have tried various scan tools in my years of experience in the trade & I can say that I am fairly impressed with http://www.autoenginuity.com/. Sure, I have found glitches & errors in comparison with the OEM scan tool operation, but it definitely has earned its place in my tool box for diagnosing problems. Reasonably priced, professional grade, upgradeable, updatedable & supported. Just my 2 cents....
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

v8famvan wrote:As anyone can imagine, nothing beats the OEM professional scan tool. I have tried various scan tools in my years of experience in the trade & I can say that I am fairly impressed with http://www.autoenginuity.com/. Sure, I have found glitches & errors in comparison with the OEM scan tool operation, but it definitely has earned its place in my tool box for diagnosing problems. Reasonably priced, professional grade, upgradeable, updatedable & supported. Just my 2 cents....
If you want to read the GM sensors, it comes to $500 US altogether ... OUCH!

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

The 'Enhanced' feature to read more of the GM sensors. The basic program will read alot of the 'generic' sensors & data on alot of vehicles (most OBD2 vehicles - '96 & newer). The 'Enhanced' data is helpful in diagnosing issues, but the 'generic' does provide alot of information that can help the novice, without being overwhelming.

Another way of looking at it: Is $500 a bad deal for a 'professional' scantool a bad deal?
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian