Hybrid RV's

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hybrid RV's

Post by BLAZER »

Rufus wrote:
BLAZER wrote: I would like the 3023 or 3124KB, but we got the small one super cheap so we are sticking with it for awhile.
http://www.trailmanor.com/
Hey Blazer. I too have been looking for a 3023/3124KB. :cheers: Last summer my local dealer actually custom ordered the 3124KB for me with no strings... but before I could get up there, he sold it. Couldn't blame him a bit. (Bird in hand, etc.)
There was a guy here locally that had a used 2720SL (not my first, second, or third choice) that I thought about, but passed on it.
I've been on "hold" going forward though, until the economy levels out a bit.

TM's are more expensive per sq ft than a conventional travel trailer, but IMHO, other than a pop-up or some type of small ultra-lite, this is about the only type of camper you can safely tow with an Astro/Safari. Hell, the 3124KB opens to 31ft, sleeps 6 and only weighs 3100 dry. It's also very easy to store... your 2619 would probably fit inside a normal size garage.
Not many people have seen or heard of these, us either until we bought one. Then last fall, we saw 3 in our little local campground we go to. They are a bit pricey, we ended up getting ours in '06 for $6500 as a repo unit. I would like a bigger one for the floor space, but ours will do. It's a great pulling camper, even with the single axle, lightweight, lower than tow vehicle for less wind resistance. The best part, I can close down in the rain and not have to open up and air out like a hybrid/popup. The 2619 may fit into the garage, some 2619 and 2720 (?) have a pivotal/swin away tongue for garage storage.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

If you don't have a family and want something that you truly can get off road with.........

this was a few years back before the lift.....and when my beautiful dog Lucy was still alive.....
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I bought a 2006 Dutchman Kodiak 235 - GVWR 4820lbs - van tows it okay - with the airbags, weight distribution hitch, and the tranny cooler, but goes to about 80 on the hills in 2nd at about 4,000rpm - don't push it more than that in second.

Might need to find me a V8 for towing - maybe a Yukon/Yukon XL... unless anyone has a turbo to get rid of cheap....
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

dunedog wrote:Image
nice van and RV, and even matching paint.... I like the alpine camper, small/light/easy to set up and definitely a bump up from a standard popup....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

So I finally upgraded and bought a hybrid RV - van towed it okay to Sylvan Lake from Calgary - not that many big hills however - the front end of the van did lend to a few wobbles when the heavy trucks passed - kept it to 100kph and didn't try to push it further - about 80kph uphill and 2nd gear (about 3800rpm). Got a Dutchman Kodiak 236 - 2006 model GVWR 4820lbs - but didn't haul it loaded. I got bags on the back, weight distro hitch and LT tires - pulled okay but as "Lifted" did I think I will be looking for a V8 hauler.... not in a hurry but I am looking. Any good deals in Calgary for a 2005+ Suburban/Yukon XL etc let me know.

Calgary, Alberta

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

thevalleyboy wrote:van towed it okay to Sylvan Lake from Calgary - not that many big hills however - the front end of the van did lend to a few wobbles when the heavy trucks passed - kept it to 100kph and didn't try to push it further - I got bags on the back, weight distro hitch and LT tires - pulled okay but as "Lifted" did I think I will be looking for a V8 hauler....
I know the feeling exactly! The wind from big rigs pushes the camper easily and the van goes with it. I HATED towing with white knuckles every trip! That's why the 3/4 ton truck! Anyone who says their van handles a similar sized camper with no issues is fooling themselves.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

100% agree lifted - took a test drive today of a 2007 Yukon XL Denali - nice... but I don't think I'll end up with something that fancy - worst part is they did away with the 2 speed transfer case in the new Yukon, Suburban - that seriously SUCKS! I think I am going to go looking for an older one with low range - I do a bit of back country camping - seriously forestry roads and like going slow - I want low range! the wife likes the looks of the newer Suburbans.Yukons but that lack of low range is killing me! Chev - wake up! we like 4 x 4's even if they are huge!
Calgary, Alberta

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I bet if you get away from the Denali model you'll see low range again. As far as I know, all Denali models are full time AWD.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Might actually go with the Expedition - seems to be better value - with a little less milage - it's only gas... lol I even looked at a Suburban LT and it had no low range t case - anyone know for sure - I think some do have the 2 speed t case but not all - and I am not sure when or how they determine if they want them installed or not... oh well I also hear the new 5.3l in the sub/yukons eat oil, like a quart every change or more... not impressed with that news, anyone on here have one? a 2007 or newer with the cylinder deactivation - I am betting the oil has something to do with this system as the old 5.3l didn't seem to have the issues - oh and they apparently had better mileage
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I guess I'll have a van for sale soon - I picked up a 2006 Expedition - King Ranch, with the HD tow package (Ford was smart and installed a separate tranny cooler - NOT integrated into the rad) - loaded except for DVD - so guess that means I'll have to clean up the van and get ready to part with it. I will miss the amount of cargo space in the van however, other than the ability to tow 8600lbs the Expy sure doesn't have the cargo room of the van. Wife said NO to any sort of truck - as she put it - the vehicle needs room for the kids friends - and I agree with that logic. I'll get some pics up is the coming days, the 5.4L should not have issues towing my hybrid, and thats the reason I got it. Crazy enough when I hit the trip computer on the Expy it say it's average economy is 14.2L per 100km - better than my van at 15.1L per 100km. That would be a pleasent surprise! :yikes:
Calgary, Alberta

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

With a properly setup WDH and sway controller you should be able to tow fairly well even with the trucks going by. The biggest problem with towing with vans (even with full size ones) is that they catch cross winds as does the travel trailer. I know a few people who have big full size vans and hated towing in the wind. They pretty much all went to trucks with the quad cabs although some went to bigger SUVs.

I am keeping an eye out right now for a diesel Suburban 4x4 as even with our popup (2005 Utah with a GVWR of about 3500Lbs) the van is not the ideal tow vehicle. I have found a couple, but none that I want to pull the trigger on since money it tight right now.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/