CB Radio mounting location

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: CB Radio mounting location

Post by pengyou »

If you want to give it a try, you can try using industrial strength velcro to mount the cb unit. If you don't like the way it works all you have to do is remove the piece of velcro glued to the vehicle and stick it somewhere else. Actually some kinds of velcro are strong enough to be used as a permanent mount.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Topic author
DANVAN
I get chills without my van.

Post by DANVAN »

Its in, I did it over the drivers visor, next to the console, just like NotDadsW41's pic showed.

I used my old magnet antenna on the roof, not crazy about the wire going out the door, but it will do until I get a thru the roof type.

Thanks for the ideas and pics.
Dan
2000 LS Astro, fully loaded- the daily driver, 2WD, 3.23
1993 B250 Dodge van, fully custom- the weekend driver 5.2, 3.91
and 3 ATV's

original_balzer

Post by original_balzer »

to go throught the roof they use a mount called a gumdrop stud mount. I guess because of the shape.
seen here
http://www.cbradiostore.com/servlet/the ... uds/Detail
You may also need a 90* adapter for the coax cable

Topic author
DANVAN

Post by DANVAN »

someone some place mentioned that I can convert my magnet ant to a roof top, is that gum drop all I would need, along with the 90 degree adaptor?
Dan
2000 LS Astro, fully loaded- the daily driver, 2WD, 3.23
1993 B250 Dodge van, fully custom- the weekend driver 5.2, 3.91
and 3 ATV's

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Thanks for the link balzer , i'll add it to our links list

pengyou

Post by pengyou »

the gumdrop will simply let you put the cable through the roof. It will still be an antennea mounted on the roof with a magnet. I haven't done the CB thing in a long while but way back when, the magnet mounted antannae's were not as good as the ones that were designed to be mounted on the vehicle permanently.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i have mine on the side of my doghouse with the receiver hook next to my stereo, i just use a splitter and my stock radio antenna so all the wire are nicely hidden behind the doghouse and out of the way.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

original_balzer

Post by original_balzer »

DANVAN wrote:someone some place mentioned that I can convert my magnet ant to a roof top, is that gum drop all I would need, along with the 90 degree adaptor?
You should be able to take the ant. mast off from the magnet base and screw it into the gumdrop mount. You may have to get a coax cable. Or if your feeling up to it you could get just a crimp on end and cut the cable off your magnet mount.

Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

You said you have the wilson 1000 mag mount. You can contact wilson direct and get the throught the roof mount for the 1000. You would use the coil (where it spin's off) and whip. You need to drill a 7/8" hole in you roof for the mount. It come's with the coax and connector's already.

For best result's you would mount it in the center of the roof for best reflection of the signal.

For power run the power and ground direct to the batt. for the least amount of noise from the electrical system in the van (ie. fuel pump, heater motor and so forth).

for info on Wilson antenna's
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/product.htm

for other info on cb installs, mod's or use you can check out
http://www.cbradiotalk.com

Lot's of usefull info on there

They call me Triple 7's out of the keystone state And I JUST GOT DOWN!! :muhaha:
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

Arcanemirage
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Arcanemirage »

jakepatch wrote: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:19 pm I did some modifying and put mine in the center console when I had mine.
I have a Uniden Bearcat 980 and I'd like to mount it up on the console like that. Any suggestions on what to use to mount it securely? Thank you! I have a 97 astro
Love my Astro!
97' Emerald Green
81.5k original miles!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Look for a structural mounting spot like a roof support beam. (not the roof skin). Then bend some metal into a custom bracket and attach with sheet metal screws.

Bret Schmerker

Post by Bret Schmerker »

For my M11006, I've wishlisted a Cobra® 75 WX ST due to compactness of the remote transceiver and an integrated NOAA weather receiver in the remote unit. Already set up a hanger for the control unit on the starboard of the center console. Wiring is straightforward; the auxiliary "hot at all times" two-blades the stock center harness just need a T-adapter connector (can't find the GM part number as of September 2022, but I know how it looks). The only puzzles? Routing the RG-216/U RF cable to the antenna mounts and selecting and calibrating an SWR matcher at the antenna end.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Bret Schmerker wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:00 pmAlready set up a hanger for the control unit on the starboard of the center console.
perhaps you could post a photo of this?

Bret Schmerker

Post by Bret Schmerker »

First time I sent photos to this Website. Not behaving per expectations, but Hyperlinks available:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... cNOCffwI8t

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... dBKd0B5DE1
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Bret Schmerker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:12 pm First time I sent photos to this Website.
It's very easy. Click the attachments tab then hit 'Add files'

Your links are broken by the way (Not that Google allows hot-linking anyway.)