How much difference in driving by lowering it 2"?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

How much difference in driving by lowering it 2"?

Post by pengyou »

I like plain jane but when I am driving on the freeway and the road veers right or left I often feel like she is going to tip over. Yes, I am going the speed limit :yikes: Yes, I have not completely adjusted to driving a van - the last car I had (10 years ago) was a little Honda Civic.

If I lower the stro 2" how much of a difference will that make? Will it reduce the quality of the ride?

How much $ for the parts?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: How much difference in driving by lowering it 2"?

Post by Rebel »

You'll notice some difference by lowering but the best improvement you could do for the problem is a rear sway bar.
Think the sway bar runs around 120 bucks last time I looked and to lower, you can do that for around 250. That's a flip kit and shorter coils but I'd go for the dropped spindles.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I second the sway bar suggestion. I have not done it yet, but it is on the list. Secondly, how are your shocks. Replacing even just the rear ones on the van made a huge difference to handling as my rear ones were completely shot. The front ones need to be done as well, but cash is short.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

At one time I had an 87 GMC Safari with no rear sway and 120K miles and working AC and an 88 Astro with rear sway, no air and 165K miles. The 88 handled so much better than the 87. i agree with the vote of adding a rear bar first.
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

adding a rear sway bar only helps...nothing but positive there.....however check to make sure ure shocks are good first. if they're shot a sway bar isn't going to do anything for you.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Like the rest of the guys, I agree with the rear bar and good shocks. I installed the rear bar I bought from Peter and it made a real positive difference. If you plan to do some camping (off road type) lowering is not a good idea. Two inches won't make any difference anyway. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I lowered mine about 2.5" in the rear and 2 in the front. I did this with drop leafs, bilstein shocks in front, belltech drop shocks in the rear, and a belltech rear sway bar kit. After all that with the addition of the 18" rims its night and day on the highway. A lot more solid, and not so bouncy. I could dig up some prices later, but it's not that expensive to do minus the wheels. 8-[
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

Why did you lower the van 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear? Why not both 2" or both 2.5"
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

My mistake, it was I believe 2.5" drop in rear, and closer to 2 3/4-3" in the front. The difference from front to back is 1/2" lower in front. I was looking for the lowest drop available, and that is what I believe I achieved. It's far from slammed, but still looks good.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

pengyou, your 96 may have a rear sway bar, but even if that is incorrect, you can get upgrade swaybars. The sway bars resist the body roll. new shocks will help, but not as much as the sway bars. My bilstiens provide a progressive resistance, but they can be depressed to full contraction. my upgraded sway bars impart an added stiffness to the suspension.
the front sway bar upgrade is a simple bolt on replacement. If your 96 has a rear bar, this will be a bolt on replacement as well. If your van does not have the rear bar, get a hellwig bar for the rear. The fit up is cleaner than the belltech bar I have.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I would second that the hellwig setup I would favor instead of my belltech. Mine works fine as well, but I like how the hellwig one is above the rear axle and does not hang as low. However I have never had any clearance problems even being lowered. :dunce: