blower speeds

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: blower speeds

Post by crash »

California wrote:Strange I get the low and med speed but not high.
I recall someone speculated that if that is the issue, there is a 'high speed blower relay' (not resistor) on the firewall, pass side right near the cowl under the hood
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

update again: less than two weeks after replacing the resistor, it's doing the same thing again. so my new AC Delco resistor apparently is now dead also. I checked the fuse and it's fine.

now back to only having the high setting and one down from high.

makes little sense to me. after talking to a tech about it, he said the highest setting bypasses the resistor and goes direct from switch to fan via fuseable link. he thinks to check voltage at the resistor on each wire to ensure it's not the switch.

if you get everything but high, check the blower motor relay and/or the fuseable link
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

JT Kessler
I am merely driving my van

Post by JT Kessler »

I replaced the ac relay, i replaced the resistor, and i replaced the blower moter, i didnt see any grounding lug, unless thats the plug,

the resistor wire plug in connector had some corrosion and i plugged it in anyway but no blower motor blowing at all, ac is working just no blower,,, should i replace that corroded plug?

JT Kessler

Post by JT Kessler »

crash wrote:update again: less than two weeks after replacing the resistor, it's doing the same thing again. so my new AC Delco resistor apparently is now dead also. I checked the fuse and it's fine.

now back to only having the high setting and one down from high.

makes little sense to me. after talking to a tech about it, he said the highest setting bypasses the resistor and goes direct from switch to fan via fuseable link. he thinks to check voltage at the resistor on each wire to ensure it's not the switch.

if you get everything but high, check the blower motor relay and/or the fuseable link
where is the fuseable link

TroySmith80

Post by TroySmith80 »

old thread but i'll try resurrecting it. Crash, did you figure out what was going on? Were you just unlucky and got a bad replacement resistor or what?

I've got a 93 with 5 positions: Off, Lo, 2, 3, Hi

My fan works on 3 and Hi, nothing on Lo or 2. I pulled the blower motor out and plugged a volt-meter into the the leads for the blower motor. I read 11.9 on hi, 11.6 on 3 and nothing on 2 or Lo.

Tomorrow i'll check that the dash switch is good and if it is, i'll see if I can find a resistor.

Also, my fan was squealing and screeching and making awful noises half the time. I oiled up both ends of the motor while i had it out and i think that has solved that... for now anyway.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Grounding lug
fusable link

where are these located?
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box