Rear Rancho's

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Rear Rancho's

Post by LastCat »

1993 AWD Astro.

30 x 9.5
2" Overland Front Spacers
Rear Add-a-Leaf

With the Overland spacers up front, Torsion Bars jacked up about an extra 1 1/2" and with the 30" Tires, I was able to get the front raised a very good amount, about 5" up front, at the wheel wells at 35 1/2" as compared to stock height and still be able to fit the Van (with Luggage Rack) into the 2 car garage.. :supz: :supz: .

Now, it is time for the rear end. I have stock steel springs, and will be adding an Add-a-Leaf, hoping to get at least 2" out back. Which would be plenty and actually level the Van very good, and still be able to get the Van into the Garage.

I wanted to relocate the Lower Shock Mounting Tabs, up at least 4". I already have the Ranchos 5152 up front, and since I will be raising the rear 2" along with raising the lower mount 4". I figured at least a shock with a length of 17", when level. With at least 4" up and down, (I hope [-o< ).

But if I can't find the right shock to fit, I might have to either go with a 2" relocation up, or stick with the stock mounts :-({|= .

Ok, so, question, who has been there and done that? What Rancho Shock did you use, and how much of a lift at the rear did you finally go with? I have the current Rancho Catalog, seen here in PDF.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/docs/08Suspension.pdf

I have seen 5147, 5112, 5008, 5005..argh, list can go on, I sure do need some help here.

Thanks
Lastcat

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Rear Rancho's

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Unless you are doing serious rock crawling, I would leave the stock mounts where they are and use the recommended shocks for the 4-5" lift. Otherwise you will need to find the compressed and extended lengths you need for the new mounts by physically cycling the axle from full compression to full droop. You can then spec out the proper length shock.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Rear Rancho's

Post by gabequest »

I have the relocation tabs from Overland. Dan will know what shocks to use, I can't remember. That is...if he answers your calls or emails. I will say, that my rears look a bit too compressed, but haven't noticed any issues. Rides great, even when loaded.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior