Can I tow a 21' travel trailer (has dual wheels)

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: Can I tow a 21" travel trailer (has dual wheels)

Post by GnarliSafari »

mdmead wrote:
GnarliSafari wrote:
pengyou wrote:Would a full size extended van do the job?
full size vans are essentially full size trucks, get at 2500 or 3500 and you should have no problem, whether its extended or not plays no factor.
Well, the length of the van does factor in if the extended section is beyond the rear wheels. The shorter the overhang, the more stable the towing. I don't think a modern day fullsize van will be a problem, but looking back to the long Ford and Dodge vans... YIKES!!
Thats a good point, chevy i believe has always used extended wheelbases/frames. The fords and doges had those ugly piggback weld on extensions that look like you would pop a wheelie if anything more than 100lbs was in the back, but i believe they all use extended wheelbases these days.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Can I tow a 21' travel trailer (has dual wheels)

Post by Kidhauler »

I got the towing stats off the hitch on my last two vans with the factory hitch and trailer tow pack. My current van has a 3:73 posi rear end and a over sized trans cooler.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Rufus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Can I tow a 21' travel trailer (has dual wheels)

Post by Rufus »

Kidhauler wrote:I got the towing stats off the hitch on my last two vans with the factory hitch and trailer tow pack. My current van has a 3:73 posi rear end and a over sized trans cooler.
Your hitch is rated for 6000 lbs, your van is not. Think about it, if this very hitch was installed on a van with 3.23's, would the van still be rated for the same 6000lbs? No.
With 3.73's, your van is still rated at 5500 lbs, posi or not.

If you're towing a 4500 lb trailer, you have 1000 lb capacity for everything else...passengers, fuel, luggage, ice chest, food, etc.
Four guys averaging 200 lbs each and a tank of gas and you're at capacity. I won't even talk about wind resistance.
97 Astro LS Passenger Van, 4.3L (newly rebuilt)
New Orleans, LA

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Can I tow a 21" travel trailer (has dual wheels)

Post by Meterpig »

Rileysowner wrote:The issue is not so much the length as the weight. The important numbers are the GVW of the trailer and the tongue weight of the trailer. At that length you will need a class 3 hitch and probably a weight distribution system as well.
I disagree.

Based on pure physics, the weight, width an length of the vehicle matter. All the GVW stuff is secondary after that. Our vans are short, average width and mid weight. You can have awesome breaks, overwhelming power, I-beams for a frame and still be driving a short, narrow and light vehicle in comparison to your trailer.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz