Darn you drivers side half shaft!!!

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Darn you drivers side half shaft!!!

Post by Lumpy »

Cobra wrote:
horse you say.....? that sure would be a new one for me
My horse is just getting over having a bad foot for the past year.
But before that, and soon again, I'd ride her here and there to
run errands. Traffic is a little scary. But we make a pretty
big focal point for people to see.

Off road 'tires', onboard navigation system, remote air intake...
All standard.

Lump eh

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Darn you drivers side half shaft!!!

Post by Cobra »

i've never ridden a horse i've always wondered how horses feel about using paved roads

on topic: 10 hours start to finish another thing i noticed is it seems to bee easier to pull the cv out of the transfer case then out of the bearing did that on the passenger side and was easy as pie to remove and reinstall. another lesson learned
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

steinec
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Darn you drivers side half shaft!!! AND the dang lower ball

Post by steinec »

HAHA the jokes on me. Wifey wants the plane takeoff noise gone from front end. So I had my new cv halfshaft and bearing/hub assy for the drivers side, read all the great posts, made my list using this post, figured it would be a breeze, and off I go........4 1/2 hours later, I've got the thing apart. To get the hub off I had to use 2 wedges-4x4's about 12" long top and bottom of rotor with the rotor on backwards like you all suggested, cranked down on the lug nuts and VOILA! This after heating with mapp gas for 20 minutes. And my 'Stro is clean, I mean really clean, sat in a government garage its' whole life.
That stupid wheel sensor connector up behind the shock mount & frame-I would shoot the GM engineer if I could find him, or at least make him disconnect the darn thing himself. Then on to the lower ball joint, figured since it's apart and it's the original and it's weeping a tad why not ? I am an idiot. 4 broken drill bits, 4 cutoff wheels, it sure isn't as easy as all the posts make it out to be, but it's off. I'm DONE for the day, will assemble tomorrow. There must be a smiley that represents my state of mind right now but I'm too doggone tired to pick one out...