Add-a-Leaf questions.

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
stomp13
I finally get the smurf thing

Add-a-Leaf questions.

Post by stomp13 »

Cheap-ass time.

Ok, I love Overland as much as the next guy but...... $171.50 (shipped) for an "Add-a-Leaf"!?!?!!?!! Crap in a basket I got a full skyjacker 6inch lift spring pack for my Bronco for around $300 and the Bronco rear leafs only fit Broncos. Not F150s,250s, etc

I've bought Add-a-Leafs before for $50-$90 over the years. I understand that the Astro has a one off rear spring pack. But something in the GM aftermarket has to fit and with the same amount of spring weight. There are tons of 2.5inch wide add-a-leafs out there.

Anyone ever use anything else for a 2-3inch lift?
Anyone know the lengh of the overlands leaf?

Thank you for your support :drinkers:
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Re: Add-a-Leaf questions.

Post by 1996astro »

On my 96 I removed the middle leaf (#2 down from top) and added two leafs from an S10 (#2 and #3 down from top.) They have more arch to them. They gave me about 1.5-2 inches, and more load capacity without as much sagging. Why I'm not sure seeing as the S10 is smaller, but I tryed it because I had them laying here. I just got another set out of a 94 S10 to put in my 97.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

I'm not feelin' the love :heart:

Do you have a good blacksmith or spring shop in your area?
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
stomp13

Post by stomp13 »

1996astro, thats some good input, thank you.

dunedog, I dont know of any blacksmiths inthe area and I have never looked for a spring shop. But thats a capitol idea. :cheers:

Im more hoping for someone to know of some other truck/vans add-a-leaf that I could use.

1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Post by 1996astro »

Option to experiment with things. I don't have much money so I try things, sometime just to see if they work. Start measuring springs on vehicles you'll find something.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

I used a leaf out of the front of a K5 blazer. I had to grind a little in the middle as it's 1/4 inch wider, but it worked. Since 1996astro used leaves out of an S10...you can pick up a "long" set of S10 AAL and try it.

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

I installed "add a leaf" in the rear of my AWD Safari van as well. For me, I drove my van to local suspension shop in AM, gave them my keys and obtained my "upgraded" van in the afternoon. Very simple task. To me, well worth this specific $185 (before taxes) upgrade. Do shop around because prices do vary from shop to shop. If wondering, one suspension shop in my area wanted $385 for the same "add +1 leaf" upgrade. To me, all Safari / Astro vans have "factory mush feeling" suspensions. They should have 4 leave system as "minimum factory build".

After +1 leaf upgrade, I then installed Timbren SES units. Due to +1 leaf upgrade, my van now sat approx 2" higher in the rear. For the Timbrens to now properly fit (re: only having 1/2" gap while unloaded) I got my local welder guy to add 1.75" "spacer" on the base of my rear Timbren units. Think he charged me $10/each - to create this steel spacer. This was well worth it. If wondering, Timbrens SES units removed suspension "down" depth.

I then lifted the front of my van 1.5" via Torsion bar adjustments. Then, got a Wheel Alignment - since its suspension was now changed. Added some high quality shocks in the front (since its front has factory mush suspension feeling as well). If I had more available dollars, I'd install Timbrens SES units on the front of my AWD van as well. For now, this is enough max dollars I'm willing to spend on this needed suspension upgrade.

For me, the above suspension upgrade items worked. And worked great - for my hauling / towing and "street only" AWD driving needs.

Hope this helps as well...

stewgibb
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by stewgibb »

Has anyone tried these?
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog/pr ... ec0a8tkla4

Stewart Gibb
2003 AWD Astro

Topic author
stomp13

Post by stomp13 »

stewgibb wrote:Has anyone tried these?
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog/pr ... ec0a8tkla4

Stewart Gibb
2003 AWD Astro
Thank you for the input. Yes I did speak to them. Im working on something now with them. Im waiting to get the add-a-leaf and install them before I post the info. But I can tell this much, with two new leafs, center bolts, and those thingies that wrap around the whole spring pack, Im looking at $100.00 shipped!

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

any updates on rear suspension upgrade..... with the load in my Safari (carpet cleaning equipment) I'm thinking about an add a leaf or replacing old leafs.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

Moreforles wrote:any updates on rear suspension upgrade..... with the load in my Safari (carpet cleaning equipment) I'm thinking about an add a leaf or replacing old leafs.
Knowing what I know today, I would NOT install +1 leaf in my Safari van again. Yes. Its do-able and in the end, it worked ok. But when including the additional cost of related adjustments, using +1 leaf was more costly then other upgrade solutions. For example: +1 leaf from Suspension shop, Raise the Front (to compensate for rear's raised rear from +1 leaf), install Timbrens on its rear (with modified base - to remove rear compression depth) and perform wheel alignment (because the front suspension was touched). When adding +1 leaf, there's a domino effect that many people forget to mention as well.

For a less expensive solution (then add +1 leaf and its related costs, or adding Air bags - which is a cool adjustable option as well), do investigate Timbren SES units for your van's rear. One can get Timbren SES units rated with 2,000 lbs (great for passenger vans) and Timbrens rated for 4,000 lbs (great for cargo vans). For your cargo van hauling, I'd get the 4,000 lbs (aka: Commercial) Timbren SES units for the rear. After all, cargo doesn't complain about too still of suspension.

For more details about Timbrens, surf:
Product Overview: http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm
2WD & 4WD normal duty: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-applicat ... MRASTB.pdf
2WD & 4WD commercial duty: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-applicat ... ASTBHD.pdf

Also... If your van's front end feels "too soft" (especially under harsh braking conditions), one can install Timbrens on the front as well. Thus, removing suspension depth - especially under fast braking conditions.

If wondering, I bought / installed Timbren SES units in my new Montana van (instead of going with factory load levelers - which is an air based upgrade). With Timbrens, my mini-van's ride comfort while empty is unchanged. And under load, the Timbren SES units come into contact and my van has NO sag (if kept within van's weight limits). Timbrens worked great on this van as well... Thus, well worth investigating for your van's "firm up the rear" needs as well.

Hope this helps...

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

stomp13 wrote:Cheap-ass time.

I've bought Add-a-Leafs before for $50-$90 over the years. I understand that the Astro has a one off rear spring pack. But something in the GM aftermarket has to fit and with the same amount of spring weight. There are tons of 2.5inch wide add-a-leafs out there.
I just picked up a single set from Murrays for $59 plus tax

I couldn't see paying $190 for something similar
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

The best solution for adding leafs that I found was go to the wreckers and pull a set of leafs out of a astro. Take one or two out of the pack and throw them in. They fit, they are easy to do and you should only need some new axle bolts to put it all together.

Personally I added a set of Airlift bags with a onboard compressor to my 99 and it is very cool. But I did spend nearly $600 to get it done right the first time. When I have no load I run with the minimum 5-8 psi when I load it up with the travel trailer I put 85lbs in it and it rides nice and level with no sway.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i apologize in advance for my ignorance, here's my question: I know that air shocks are much cheaper than an airbag kit. would air shocks in the rear accomplish the same as airlift bags? what would the ride quality be like, diff bags vs shocks?

thanks
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I carry around 800-900 lbs of ballooning equipment in the Safari. I added air shocks to compensate for the added weight. They work fine. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle