WOW - I've been missed

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Water Boy
I sleep in my van

WOW - I've been missed

Post by Water Boy »

Hey Zam, you are right, I haven't been in for awhile.

It was time for emissions and tag on my 90. Was having problems getting it to pass. Also had a couple of 50% power issues from the engine while going to work. Could not duplicate back at the house. The original paint was looking really bad. I was using it for business and customers were starting to notice more and more how bad it looked.

So, a bunch of little things added up to one thing. It has to go.

On June 7, 2008 I drove it to the junkyard.
Across the scale.
Up to the crusher.
And then a sad moment of silence.
I left before the deed was done.

As a short family history.
We bought it new. Drove it for maybe 175,000 miles ( 281,635.2 Canadian) then sold it to my brother since his wife recently had twins. They already had one kid. Some time later, his wife became a lesbian. They got divorced (kept his last name) and she got the van. Some time later she got a newer van and parked the Astro. Some time later she donated the Astro to a charity. They never came a got it.

I had bought the 93 Astro to put into service since I was selling my dually. During the "get it ready" period, I replaced hoses and fluids and a bunch of ignition stuff and much more. Had 4 new tire installed. To this day, they still have the molding whiskers. Also had the front-end rebuilt. Then I found that the motor was bad. There WAS a reason that the t'stat was missing.

Since the charity still didn't pick up the Astro, my brother worked a deal with his ex to get it back and I bought it from him. The van always had my last name.

I can't think of one time that it failed to get us there and get us back.
Never failed to start.
Never let us stranded.
Unless you count the time she wouldn't start in the driveway (of all places) due to a failed fuel pump.

So, then now you know why I haven't visited the "family" in a while.

I got $400.00 USD (407.486 Canadian) at the junkyard.
Late this summer, the guy whose land my 93 is parked on told me that he was bush-hoggin' and and found my van. I called the junkyard to get an updated price. It was only $60.00 USD (70.43940 Canadian). That would not even cover the tow dolly expense. So, it is still there.

On my round-2-it list is the task to gather all of the Astro stuff I have and post it here. I know I have the OEM books and some parts.

I've got an '03 Savana extended 2500LD cargo (used) for use in my water business. There are 1000's of them around here in metro Atlanta but not a one that is customized. No real web sites either.

One other task I have is to convert the pics that I posted here that are hosted at my photo-bucket account. I never did like it when someone posted a how-to or needed help and their pic was no longer available. I just didn't want to leave them fall to the wayside.

I'll be monitoring this thread for a little while.
Feel free to PM/email me.
I've not died nor have I been put into the home either.

Did I tell ya the story as to why my 90 water temp would rise the faster I drove?
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: WOW - I've been missed

Post by crash »

good to see ya WB
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Good to hear your still kickin :cheers:

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Nice to know you weren't planted and still around.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

good to see you are on the right side of the grass H2O Man.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Look to see you post.Check in when you can.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

I didn't even know you were missing Mr Waterboy:) I've been MIA a lot too. Glad to hear you're alive & kickin' & not in a nursing home either. :D Tooo funny.
Good luck with your Astro stuff...
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Man, what a relief. I was worried sick that something had happened to you. I am SO relieved to read that you're ok.
It also means you can still pay me back the 75 cents I lent you last summer..... :bounce: :bounce:

:smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson