Body extension kits?

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Body extension kits?

Post by pengyou »

I have seen a variety of front end kits for the stro. Has anyone made anything to extend the van 24" or more? Or make it a little wider in the rear 2-3 feet?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Body extension kits?

Post by ihatemybike »

Well Tiger made some Astro/Safari based RVs that sightly increased the width behind the front doors.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3673
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1590

There was another RV built with these, but I can't find the topic right now.

Here's a custom limo/tandem version.

I've yet to see a butt extension like what is used on Fords and Dodges full size vans. I'm sure with enough work it could be done, but at that point you are probably better off just getting a full size.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

"but at that point you are probably better off just getting a full size."

That is what I am afraid of. I really want the room but I also like the 21 mpg on the freeway and the ease of parking. I guess if I got a full sized with a diesel engine in it I could probably get 20, though I might have to tinker with the engine and rear end a bit. Also, it is easier to find an AWD setup for an astro than for a full size, or at least at a reasonable price.

Well, I will go back to the drawing board and see if there is some creative way of getting what I want. What I am hoping for is an awd van with a raised roof, seating for 5 up front and a bed and galley area in the back. :-k
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

midnighthunder89

Post by midnighthunder89 »

what about a trailer. you can't use it when you drive but don't know if you need that. I am sure there is a way to just cut the rear off one van add supports and have a 4 wheel drive van with 2 dummy wheels..IDK
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

pengyou wrote:"but at that point you are probably better off just getting a full size."

Well, I will go back to the drawing board and see if there is some creative way of getting what I want. What I am hoping for is an awd van with a raised roof, seating for 5 up front and a bed and galley area in the back. :-k

You know it is almost always costs more to build one than to buy what you wanted in the first place.Sad but true. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

true Gary, but depends on what your goal was in the first place.
that tandem limo is sweeeeeeet!
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....