Clear, Consise Brake Upgrade Instructions, please.

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Clear, Consise Brake Upgrade Instructions, please.

Post by LaGrasta »

I did some research and found a few threads on this subject and Smiliesafari seemed to have the most confidence in his brake upgrade post. If I can do a quick, inexpensive upgrade without too much miss-match of parts, I'd be interested in this. Who wouldn't? Swapping to disc in the back is more than I'd like to invest in this van. However these others mentioned sound within my reach.
I have a '98 RWD. When I need brakes next time around, I'm heading to the parts counter and asking for different calipers and pads form a 1995 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy truck if I understand correctly? As for the 11" rear drums, i need to invade a junkyard for a caprice cop car? Is this accurate? Can I have any specifics such as year or model, even part numbers?
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Clear, Consise Brake Upgrade Instructions, please.

Post by ihatemybike »

LaGrasta wrote:I have a '98 RWD. When I need brakes next time around, I'm heading to the parts counter and asking for different calipers and pads form a 1995 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy truck if I understand correctly?
Nope, this upgrade only works with the AWD vans. I tried finding the RWD equivalent, but wasn't able to fit anything together as of yet.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Aaron.......This upgrade is for the RWD. The "Smilievan" is a RWD.
There are several mid 90's full size GM cars that will have the correct rear brake parts. A few that come to mind are the Caprice (police and taxi), Buick Roadmaster and check out the full size station wagons. What you're looking for is 11x2 shoes and drums. Backing plates and all related hardware. My brakes came from a Roadmaster. No modifications. They bolted right on. I did not change the front calipers. I just added the larger disc pads from the 4x4 Chevy truck. They work great. It's well worth the time and effort. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

Given that my 03 has front and rear discs, I'm led to think that swapping to discs can't be that hard. Could it be as simple as finding a late model van in a junkyard that looks like the front was put in a blender?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Smiliesafari wrote:Aaron.......This upgrade is for the RWD.
Yes, the rear brakes are, but I didn't comment on that since I have no experience.

The larger piston front caliper/brake pads is only for AWD vans.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Smiliesafari wrote:Aaron.......This upgrade is for the RWD. The "Smilievan" is a RWD.
There are several mid 90's full size GM cars that will have the correct rear brake parts. A few that come to mind are the Caprice (police and taxi), Buick Roadmaster and check out the full size station wagons. What you're looking for is 11x2 shoes and drums. Backing plates and all related hardware. My brakes came from a Roadmaster. No modifications. They bolted right on. I did not change the front calipers. I just added the larger disc pads from the 4x4 Chevy truck. They work great. It's well worth the time and effort. \:D/
My 11inch rear drum brakes are from a `92 Chevy Caprice Cop Car, there have been quite a few in my local wrecking yards recently. You can always tell if the Caprice was a cop car or taxi because it has green hd silicon radiator and heater hoses under the hood.

I also fitted the Hydro-Boost system from a `94 Astro and the larger front brake pads, my V8 van stops on a dime and it was a cheap conversion to do.

Years ago (before AstroSafari was even around) I tried to fit a disc brake rear system, but after 8 months and 10 different master cylinders plus other mods.... I could never get enough brake fluid volume to work the rear calipers properly, that is when I discovered that 11inch drum assemblies would fit onto my axle.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Aaron........the larger calipers will bolt right on in place of the smaller ones. I did the complete upgrade on my son's '91 Astro. I'm not sure how this mis-information got started but it is incorrect. The next time you are at a parts store have the counter man show you one of each. I did that to satisfy my curiosity before I proceeded with the conversion. The only physical difference is the size of the piston. \:D/

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Hmmm, so is it that you can swap a larger rotor onto the AWD vans then?
Aaron

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

No, I think that Skip's trying to make it clear that the larger calipers do indeed fit on a 2wd. Which is something we've all been led to believe wasn't possible....
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Peter is correct. And.......larger caliper only. No larger rotor. We're stuck with the stock rotor but with the larger caliper and larger brake pads it's a real improvement. \:D/

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i just went down on my warehouse floor to compare the oe replacment for RWD and AWD they look nothing alike i don't think the mounting holes would line up but i just took a quick look since i am at work maybe at lunch i'll measure the center to center on them
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Smiliesafari wrote:Peter is correct. And.......larger caliper only. No larger rotor. We're stuck with the stock rotor but with the larger caliper and larger brake pads it's a real improvement. \:D/
Could you make this conversation a little easier and tell us what the large calipers for the RWD come from? A Caprice? Truck? What? I know that the AWD can be swapped for 4X4 3/4 ton Pickups. I didn't think the same ones would fit a RWD though.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I kept a file on the conversion for my son's 91 Astro. I'll post the part numbers tomorrow. They're at the shop and I'm home for the rest of the day. Earned my nickel.......I'm done. \:D/

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i wish i could say that they have me doing 14+ hour days this weekend. I'm curious which ones you used this will be really useful information
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

OK.......Here's the part numbers for the big brake upgrade.
Front calipers are Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123. These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks in the years 79 - 86.
Front disc pads are Wagner. Part number: SX 153
For you guys that have a van that is 10 years or older I would recommend you also change the brake hoses. They will be the stock hoses for your application.
The rear brakes consist of the backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions. And Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.
The 11x2 shoes are Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.
The wheel cylinders are Wagner. Here you have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The Buick sedan uses the 7/8" and the station wagon uses the 1". I used the 1" because the "Smilievan" carries 800 - 900 lbs of ballooning equipment all the time. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same. I hope this helps. It's well worth the effort. \:D/