Pulling others out...

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Pulling others out...

Post by chemist »

If you live in an area likely to get snow, you realize the value of keeping a few things in the back of the van--things like a snow shovel, or maybe a tow chain. I've been keeping a tow chain and a come along, and often end up pulling others out of snow drifts. Just tonight I pulled a Jeep Cherokee out of a drift if you can believe that. The funny part was the onlookers claiming I would hurt my van... :supz:

I'm curious to know how many others use their vans for this.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Pulling others out...

Post by ihatemybike »

Nothing wrong with using an Astro for recovery as long as you anchor to a solid point. When I still had Blue (2000 AWD Astro), one wonderful winter storm using a tow strap and hooking it to my hitch, I pulled several cars from their parking spots when we were leaving work for the day.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

midnighthunder89

Post by midnighthunder89 »

in the UP we get some snow and I have pulled people out many times with mine. I dont know how good it is but i dont have a hitch so i attach it to the bumper mounting bracket.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

zombie{[six]}

Post by zombie{[six]} »

Havent pulled people out of snow but if I'm not in a rush to get somewhere Im the kinda guy who pulls over and helps people on the freeway. I've towed a couple people off the freeway with my van. People are always amazed to hear the grumble of my V8 in my little Astro :)
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I keep a shackle insert for my hitch plus 2 snatch straps and 2 tow straps in the back along with a slew of spare parts / tools.

I've used the recovery gear quite a few times...... Funniest was my RWD pulling a lifted bronco out of a mud pit. His buddies who he called to help him showed up as I was pulling him out.. They bugged the hell out of him lol. I bet he will never live that down.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Way to go, guys.

I haven't had to pull anyone out with my van yet as there is always been a few guys wanting to use thier winches around when Somebody has gotten stuck.

I have, however, towed in two different jet skis with my sea kayak, and two different sailboats with my sea kayak. Talk about a good work out.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

T.Low wrote:Way to go, guys.

I haven't had to pull anyone out with my van yet as there is always been a few guys wanting to use thier winches around when Somebody has gotten stuck.

I have, however, towed in two different jet skis with my sea kayak, and two different sailboats with my sea kayak. Talk about a good work out.
Say what?!?!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

A fellow balloonist with a full size Ford van with attached trailer high centered his van on a dirt berm. I didn't pull him over the berm but did use the Safari as an anchor. He attached his winch to the front of the van and pulled himself over. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

WVKayaker wrote:
T.Low wrote:Way to go, guys.

Say what?!?!

You are such a brute Tom!

Yups pulled quite a lot of vehicles with my shackle insert to my hitch and tow rope. I posted a few photos a while back.
Still have not done anything to the front in the event I get stuck, I will be stuck :p
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"