General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear hatch doors wont LOCK!!!?

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Folks,

I think I made a post like this before but obviously I did not act on it or we all just have to live with this problem.

When it is cold out ... the rear hatch (I have the dutch doors, not barn doors) I can open it but when I slam it shut ... it does not LOCK! Kind of presents a problem when I have to drive hahah. So basically I have to wait for the heaters inside to warm up a bit or something and then pray and hope it locks when I get to my destination.

I think last time the best we could muster together for a solution ... was ... dont open the doors hahaha.

It slams but the locks wont engage.
Anyone out there with a clue?
We should make this a sticky afterwards.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear hatch doors wont LOCK!!!?

Post by skippy »

The grease they used to lubricate the lock mechanisms are dirty & when they get cold they stiffen up & won;t release till it gets warmed up . you need to clean all that old grease out of the locks & replace with new . a good white lithium grease would work or others might have a better suggestion for a better grease to use.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi SkipppY!
Oh ... er ... okay I admit I thought I did that but probably not clean enough. Is there something you would recommend I "spray" into the locks to get them REALLY clean and then grease tham back up?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Also... Do check the setting of the rear door's "lock pin" catch distance. When its cold outside, the rubber around the door gets much stiffer and won't compress down as much. If the chassis latch is too far in, the door's catch won't grab its latch pin. The pin that holds the door shut.

If wondering, I adjust my van's rear doors latch (the pin position on the chassis) in the fall and spring seasons. In the fall, I move the latch pin "out" approx 1/4 inch. In the spring, I move the door catch back in 1/4". For my dutch doors, I do NOT have to slam them shut during the cold winter moths. Especially during my "deep cold - everything is stiff" months.

As a suggestion, do some "deep listening" with your van's rear door as well. Try to determine if its locking parts are stuck (from dirty / too thick of grease) or if the locking system is working but its catch isn't reaching its catch pin properly (because its door rubbers will not compress down far enough).

Hope this helps...

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Spike! I think you have nailed it spike on \:D/
When I say slam ... it is just from pulling down the top and the hydraulic arms will do the rest but when it does not lock I hear the distant "slam" and no lock mechanism noise. So for me probably need a REALLY deep cleaning. I have tried something similar to what you suggested about moving the locks, I would hold the close slow to hear for a latch, nothing. Last year I would have a mini-butane torch to help assist ^__^
Just wondering, how does it know to latch?

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

I have found the problem isn't so much the lock mechanism as the rubber seals!!!
A couple of years ago while trying to remedy the 'lock' problem ,I found the rubber seals that are old and absorb moisture to be the culprit.
Once they absorb moisture they FREEZE and as I played around with my heat gun and moved from the locks to the rubber,...so came this revelation. :prayer:
I now grease them with silicone a couple of times a year. Definitely in the Fall and have not had near the problems.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Dunedog!
Wait my thread is for LOCKING the door ... not unlocking and pulling open. No problems there cause I am all lubed up as well :smurf:
The seals are soft and shiny ... which is why I hate hearing that "slam" which is almost like door to frame and thus I know it did not lock :(

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

I understand grasshopper.....I also had the problem while locking and when I addressed the rubber seal things improved.
But alas when the temps weren't going out of the single digits or low teens I just try not to open it.
Peter would normally have something to say about this but since he has a heated garage he never has to deal with this. :poke:

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Rats ... we have a large generation gap between us two here ... so I have to remember what is means to be called a grasshopper ... hah ha.
Hmmm maybe I will double check all the seals. Maybe I did not do a good enough job lubing it up?

Yah ... we left a few holes for the smurf to wiggle into in this thread ... he is getting old and slow now [-(

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Ya normally when he reads statements like,"No problem there,cause I'm all lubed up"...it get's him all excited and well you know Peter...lol

Glad you take my :poke: on the grasshopper in stride as well.

Just one big family here at ASV.com :cheers:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

phr1$k37 wrote:Maybe I did not do a good enough job lubing it up?
Well, you MUST use lots of lube...you don't want friction bu....what are we talking about now? :rolleyes:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Oh man,Peter's going to have a field day if he reads this,,,,,,yuk,yuk :guitar: :guitar:

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
phr1$k37 wrote:Maybe I did not do a good enough job lubing it up?
Well, you MUST use lots of lube...you don't want friction bu....what are we talking about now? :rolleyes:

Sorry ... I see several holes, which one do I want to lube a lot? Or is there one that does not require lube to provide the friction to lock tight and twist? :-k

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Oh Grasshopper :yikes: #-o

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Just wondering if cleaning and regreasing did the trick. I have the same problem but without the cold temPs so im pretty sure i need to regreAse. Any tips for cleaning the latches are appreciated as im diving in later today, i already have white grease and would love to stop using my cable lock as a means to avoid being robbed
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley