Water Pump Replacement Procedure and Thermostat Replacement

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Water Pump Replacement Procedure and Thermostat Replacement

Post by chemist »

Your water pump may eventually fail. I hope it never does, but my friend's did on his 96 Astro van. We changed it this weekend along with some other stuff. It was my first time for this on an Astro, but perhaps someone else can benefit from that experience. I won't mislead you, I consider this job kind of a pain. If you're going to do it, replace your hoses and thermostat so you hopefully don't have to mess with the cooling system for a while. It is certainly do-able by many of us, and who doesn't want to have this job done for under $100 when it is needed.

I can't show you a picture of your water pump yet, because we'll need to expose it first.

You'll need your basic metric wrenches, metric sockets and socket extensions. You'll also need a GM fan clutch removal tool. The exact GM tool is J46406, I think, but don't run out and spend $150 on that. Such things are available at places like Advance Auto Parts—they would have rented us a tool kit for this, but they were out so we had to use a Ford Fan Clutch removal wrench set, exactly like this one at the top of the following web site—we found it for $22 so don't pay that price.... http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi06.html You may be able to get by with a really large strap wrench and a huge cresent wrench, but we couldn't get that to work.

Edit: Before you do this, disconnect the battery!

Water Pump

1. Make sure the engine and coolant are cool. Place a large basin under the van and open the radiator stopcock found at the bottom of the radiator, facing the interior of the van on the passenger side—make sure that the coolant goes into the basin. You may wish to use pliers on the spring for the lower radiator hose and remove it at this point too at this point.

2. Now remove your air intake as per this procedure: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2699

3. Next remove the upper fan housing as per this procedure: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2700

4. The fan clutch removal tool that I used consisted of a large really thin wrench and an even bigger, but just as thin, crows foot wrench. Because of the tight space we simply could not get good photos of the tool in use. To use the tool, first put something with a half inch drive on the crows foot wrench and slip the crows foot wrench over the four small bolts on the fan/water pump pulley. You may need to align the bolts so that they are all flat side facing the sides of the crows foot wrench—sorry for not writing down bolt sizes, I think they're either 10 or 13 mm bolts. Use the box end of a wrench for that task if you need to do it. Now slip the open end wrench on the large nut between the fan and the pulley, hold the crows foot wrench in place and turn the nut between the fan and pulley counterclockwise (from the drivers side to the passenger side). This may be require considerable effort... Here's a photo of the nut I was talking about and the four bolts on the pulley:

5. Now remove the pulley from the water pump. Because the pulley spins, I found it easiest to zip them off with a 3/8” drive impact wrench. If that's not an option for you, try to hold it in place with a large strap wrench and remove the bolts (10mm socket if I remember correctly, could have been 12):

Okay, there's your water pump.

6. If you are changing hoses—and you should be—you'll want to pull out the lower fan housing at this point. It has plastic tabs holding it at the bottom, so try not to break them as you unclip them. You'll also need to remove the lower radiator hose at the bottom of the pump—his wouldn't separate from the water pump so we just cut it with a pair of pruning sheers—the kind you cut branches with. The hose has a spring in it so have wire cutters handy if you do that... Remember to get a basin under the hose before you remove it.

7. Next pull the line off the top of the water pump as shown.

8. It's probably best if you remove the center top pulley, shown below. To remove it, simply remove the bolt in the center.

9. This will reveal another hose on the top of the water pump. Remove that hose from the water pump.

10. Now you're ready to pull of the old water pump. It's held in by four bolts on the front (15mm bolt heads if I remember right). Remove those bolts, but have a hand on the water pump to catch it for the last one.

11. Sorry, no photos of this, but you'll find old gasket left behind where the water pump bolted on. Scrape those off as best you can. Sorry, no photos here. Apply rtv to the new water pump, place the new gaskets on the water pump and apply rtv to other sides of the gaskets as well.

12. Now, bolt the new water pump back on.

13. Reinstall everything you removed. Sorry, no more photos there.

Thermostat

1. To replace the thermostat, you'll need to first pull the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Here is the upper radiator hose, follow it back toward the motor.
It connects to the thermostat housing. Here is the housing with the thermostat shown inside (hose pulled)

Now pull the wiring harnesses off of the sensors that are in your way.

Next unbolt the thermostat housing cover and pull it off. Note: On the back side of it (facing the engine, you'll actually find two nuts. One attaches a ground lead to the back of the stud on the back of the thermostat. I mention it so you don't break the thing trying to pull it off.

Pull out the old thermostat.

Pop the new thermostat and bolt the cover back on. Remember to reattach the sensor wiring harnesses you just pulled and the pulley. Sorry, no more pics.

Torque Settings
Thermostat cover nuts: 18 ft/lb
Water Pump Bolts: 33 ft/lb
Water Pump/Fan Pulley Bolts: 18 ft/lb
Fan clutch nut: 41 ft/lb – I have no idea how you'd set that...

Notes:
* Someone more experienced may wish to double check my torque specifications
* Engine coolant is poisonous, generally sweet tasting, and harmful to the environment. Be careful to collect all of it and properly dispose of or recycle it. This goes doubly if you have pets
* I am only providing this procedure to tell you how I did this. In no way am I telling anyone to do this, especially if they're not comfortable with this repair. Also note, I'm a chemist not a lisenced mechanic, so as with all things, consider the source.

Dumb question, should this stay here or get moved to general procedures?
Last edited by chemist on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Water Pump Replacement Procedure and Thermostat Replacement

Post by 92astro »

dude man you did great i just did this water pump change on my 1992 astro with 180,000 miles about a month ago!! but before that i did one a 89 chevy trcuk so i knew what to do except one thing getting the top fan shroud off cause i have my a/c line running across it but it is mangeable. i also replaced my hoses.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

excellent post. i'm smellin sticky...

is it just me or does it look like there's wayyy more room in there to work than there actually is lol :-s
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Excellent job, Dude. I lost the water pump in my van on the way to the Albuquerque balloon event. I changed it in the parking lot of the Napa Store in Elk City, OK. Not too bad of a job. Took about an hour and a half. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Well done Chemist, good instructions AND great pics, both of which are very important to any "How To" :cheers:

As to where we will keep this, I think it would be best in the General procedures because it is a relatively common repair, however we can keep a shadow link in this forum (which will show it moved) because most people would naturally look in this forum for this type of repair info, when they click on the thread the link will take them to the procedure.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: Water Pump Replacement Procedure and Thermostat Replacem

Post by photo_van »

Great instructions! I just did mine. $30 and hour drive for the special tool, so I made my own.
_MG_7969.jpg
_MG_7968.jpg
I had some kinda shelf bracket out in the shed, worked great. I managed to get the pipe wrench in there but it was tight.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Re: Water Pump Replacement Procedure and Thermostat Replacem

Post by infinite.chris »

working on getting my '96 apart, and getting the fan clutch is part of an intake gasket replacement.

We just used two wrenches on the nuts, and that worked up to the last, braced against two posts to get that one off.

So far so good, nothing broke ^^
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------