Shift it myself type of thing

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Shift it myself type of thing

Post by Merlin »

I did a search on manual transmissions and didn't come up with much. So here is the question. I have this crazy idea of changing to a manual trans but would like to hear from any one here that has a manual trans in our vans with something other than a four popper. When I was working at a dealership, back when, I saw a few with the manual trans but they were all four poppers and what dogs they were, of course the owners always wanted more power even though they bought the four and no the auto didn't cut it either. Any way does any one here have a manual trans and could you drop a line or two here and let me know how you like it? Also if any one has any of the parts, like pedals, shifter, braces, rods, etc., that they would like to part with please let me know as I am thinking about doing this when I get the new engine in, V-8, and that is soon. I need a new tranny, auto now but why not change that? So I thought hey might be fun and cost about the same if I can find the needed parts. A Manual trans isn't that much harder to find than an auto it is the little stuff that is really the biggie. SO HELP PLEASE!! Info and maybe parts are needed.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Shift it myself type of thing

Post by GEJ »

Last I looked:

http://www.car-parts.com

A junk yard link had the 5 speed sticks out of Astro 4.3's listed.The bell housings where special to the 4.3 5 speed in they along with the shift link placed the shifter in a usable position.You would have to contact a j/y that has one listed to see if they had all the parts.I had at one time the peddles from Dean,but once I decided I wasn't going to go that route,I passed them on to another member. You might need to know that the clutch peddle was kind of tight given the foot area in these vans.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yep I know it is kind of tight on the pedals since I worked for Chevrolet Dealers for years as a tech. I was there when the first Astro rolled into our dealership. Liked them the first time I saw them. I have had several over the years including one that an idiot stole out of my storage. Boy did he make a mess out of that van. He lost it being chased by the man and tried to hide it by wrapping it around a light pole.
I haven't tried the site you put here will do that today. I tried all the JY's around here for miles and no got.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Merlin, I'm the member that Gary (Thanks, Gary!) sent the Astro clutch pedal parts to. My intention was to figure out a way for anyone to duplicate the pedal parts so as to convert their Astro/Safari to a manual transmission--I felt that the biggest stumbling block to a manual conversion was getting the clutch pedal assembly.

I made a preliminary check after receiving the parts and was a bit freaked out by just how little space there was between the clutch and brake pedal. In fact, I could easily see trouble happening when my size 11.5 feet went for the pedals. I'm of the opinion now that, for me at least, an entirely different clutch pedal is necessary. I'm not sure exactly what to make, but am leaning towards a radically differently looking pedal moved far to the left of the floor space, somehow fastened onto the wheel hump close to the kick panel. Nothing hard and fast yet, of course, just what I'm thinking after seeing how things have been done in semi tractors.

As for the transmission, I've found what I think is an interesting replacement for the original Borg Warner unit. While researching 5 speed OD manual transmissions for my 82 Olds Delta 88, I noticed the NV3500 manual 5 speed from a 1996 4.3 Chevy S10. This transmission has the SB Chevy style integral cast bell housing, a hydraulically operated clutch, and a top-loader shift lever located 17 inches back from the forward edge of the bell housing. I believe that this would place the shift lever in a decent location fore-and-aft in the cab. The left/right location wouldn't be the best, though, what with the Astro drivetrain offset being 4 inches to the right and all. But maybe heating and bending the shift lever could make it acceptable.
Just thinking out loud about that, you understand, as I haven't done anything concrete yet.

Anyway, if you would like the clutch pedal/clutch pedal master cylinder/assorted parts that Gary sent to me last year, I'll be more than happy to ship them your way. Just drop me a PM with your address. It'll take a bit of time to get it out to you though, so bear with me.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

SafariRob, PM sent. Good luck on your ride. Not many seem to understand this want for a manual tranny. Old school I guess but that is Kool too and yes I wrote it with a "K" only old school will know that is right. If I can find all the little stuff I will do it one way or another. 5 speed or 6 speed who knows maybe even the M-22 in the garage. Yep I know I will lose the over drive but the again an over drive is possible as an ad on. Gear Venders is always there but a little on the expensive side. What isn't now though. Shift lever won't be in the best place but they do make a really long one that I could bend up a bit and maybe get it into a good spot.
Still open to any others that have ideas or parts that SafariRob might not have. Thanks to all Larry / Merlin

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I understand the want, just think it might not be worth all the work.

I know the shifter location is going to be off, but maybe you can correct it with some sort of linkage. I don't know if you saw the Peterbuilt Chooper Trike episode of Monster Garage, but it's a good example of moving the shifter using linkage and not ending up with a super long stick that has a yard of throw between shifts.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yep saw that show and it was a little weird to say the least. Kool in ways but weird. Most of the stuff they made or tried to make is more like it was different. Is the manual worth it who knows but still think I may try if I can get the little things.
Last edited by Merlin on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I finally got a parts guy at a dealership to look up what might still be available for this conversion to happen. The old book he found has all the parts listed and nothing is available except for a few clips and nuts and a pin. Oh well. Think that I could get that guy to copy out the page for me so I could have all the part numbers and all? NO! Big time NO! I thought that once I got him to talk and look up the stuff he might do it for me but he wouldn't even consider it. Nice guy huh. I have a picture in my van manual that shows all of the parts but it would be nice to know the part numbers too. Oh well on with the day. Ron is going to be nice enough to send me the parts he has so Hopefully this will happen. Starting to pull the van in and get the old engine out this weekend. Might take a while with my old busted up back but it will happen and hopefully with a manual on the back of it. I know pictures please and as I go I will take them especially if the manual thing works. Seems no one here has one or at least not that has said anything, yet.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Merlin, I have a copy of the factory 1985-90 M Parts and Illustration Catalog and will send you a copy of the manual clutch pages. Part numbers and descriptions (such as they are) are included. If nothing else, the illustration gives a pretty good idea of how things fit together. (I bought this book thinking that it would become my Astro bible. It should have done that, but the book is laid out in a most obnoxious manner and doesn't have many illustrations. What it does have is page after page of part numbers with concisely vague descriptions that usually mean nothing. I had to leaf through the manual to find the clutch section and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was well illustrated.)

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get to the post office before it closes at 11:30 today (Saturday), so I'll be mailing the parts out to you next week. Sorry about that.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

No rush I can wait. Got the van in this morning and some of the front off before the back started to complain too bad. So it is started. Thanks for the info pages. I still didn't see what that parts guy's problem was as a copy machine was right there by him and I told him I would pay for the copy so he wouldn't get into trouble. Not like it is stuff that is a big secret to the world. I have some pictures, in a repair manual, that show what all is there just not in place. The pictures are just that, pictures of the parts. Only thing that I really wanted from this parts page was to be able to see what if any parts might interchange with other models. You never know some of it might be off of something that you can still get if you know what the model is.Been there and done that before.

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Merlin,
I am finding trannies on Car-part.com

Cheapest one is $650.00.I don't know your postal zip code so I can't see if there are any junk yards near you that have them.To get this rare tranny you might just have to have one shipped to you and bit the bullet on the shipping charges.You also might want to do a search on ebay under salvage Astro vans to see if one comes up that way.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I already checked that and one is about 50 or so miles from me. They have the tranny and it is rebuilt, a little more than you noted but then it is rebuilt they don't have any just pulled, but no little parts at all. The trans is still stock and won't last long behind the V-8. Once I have the little stuff, the hardest part really I hope that Rob is sending me, I can get to the rest of the conversion. I am thinking about a 6-speed that is for sale near me or the M-22 four gear I already have. First things first and that is the pedal and stuff that goes with it. The stock 6 engine should be out soon and I will pretty up the bay a bit, for the V-8, and then work on the trans conversion, hopefully any way. That way nothing is in the way to do whatever I might have to do for this manual to fit nice. Thanks for the info but already been there.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Just in case anyone else is interested in seeing the clutch parts drawings and part numbers:

Rob Shaver

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Rob Shaver

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Rob Shaver