to chip or not to chip

Topic author
devonportuk
I am merely driving my van

to chip or not to chip

Post by devonportuk »

Can anyone tell me, if any one knows of a super chip to save on gas and better perfornance.
I have seen them on ebay, price from $8 - $25.
As gas in the UK is 2/3X the price of the US.
graham

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: to chip or not to chip

Post by kings-x59 »

Graham, post up the specs on your van.
I've got an older one - '89. I bought a stage 1 chip from http://www.jetchip.com/ there are custom chip burners out there that you can buy from as well. The thing about performance chips is that many of them require a higher octane gas due to and increasing advance on the ignition timing. And the more aggressive the chip, the more mods they recommend
my stage 1 chip runs the engine much better with a mid grade gas than on regular. And, that 's exactly what the fine print said about it on the website. So, read the fine print.
my throttle response improved, and if I don't hammer the gas peddle and cruise at 60 mph I can get 20 mpg out of my rusty brick with 126K miles on it.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

First I would say that any off the shelf chip is not worth it. You can go to most of the Chevy TBI, or EFI forums and find people who will program chips for you. I have a rig to program chips, but have not done the research to get setup for 4.3 Astro's. I know there are several .bin files out there that could be programed right onto a chip and popped in our vans, just not looked it up. It is worth an evening of research before you go buy a chip.

I am working with several programs for my LT1, and previously had been working on my TBI setup. Once I figure out the sorted details, I may offer to program chips for the Astro/Safari community, but I need to get my burner dialed in for the chips and find some reliable guinea pigs to test the chips. (I don't have a 4.3 anymore!)

And you can get performance/economy chips that will use regular octane fuel. It is all trade-offs.

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Topic author
devonportuk

Post by devonportuk »

Thanks guys
I think I will leave it, I am getting around 20 mpg.
graham

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

A few year back, I investigated the same question on my 2001 AWD Safari van. re: "to chip or not to chip?". When research was completed, it was suggested that a "chip" gives very little gain. If one does the chip upgrade, then air intake and muffler system is done next. And all 3 upgrades give very little performance gain (on the V6 4.3 engine). Yes. Some power increase but not the "huge increase" their marketing slides often state.

It was suggested that if I wanted "more power" (like many AWDs need), then perhaps a V8 install should be done instead. Simply replace the V6 with a V8 and one would have more then enough "power gains". Especially in the AWD version - that runs heavier weight then a 2wd verson.

If I didn't want to swap engines (and its coversion details) then perhaps replacing its axle ratio was the next option (and sill keep its V6 engine "as is"). If 2wd version, simply replace the rear gears (or replace rear axle with different gear ratio). Down to 373 or 411 gears. Thus, allowing more power - with the factory V6 engine.

If I had a 2wd with factory passenger van gears, I'd probably install the 373 gears. And if I also towed lots of trailers with passengers, I'd install the 411 gears instead. Thus, lots of power gains without "touching" the factory V6 engine.

Hope this helps in your research...