Tires for Astro GTRV

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
JBZ
I am merely driving my van

Tires for Astro GTRV

Post by JBZ »

I need advice on tires... I am new to the site, but have owned three Astros... My current van is an '03 - with a GTRV pop-top (my last one - as it should last forever). I am looking into purchasing new BF Goodrich T/A KO All Terrain - reason being: in would like a tire that can handle Baja and Idaho roads, need a tire to travel at high speeds (80-85 mph) between Sun Valley, Idaho and San Diego, and need to decrease the boat feel of the steering wheel. What is the largest size I can go with these tires? Should I be looking at a 8/10 ply tire? I am not four wheeling (like Moab), but the roads I am on need strong tires. I have a set of studded snow tires for the winter. Please tell me what tire is best - is the BFG suitable? Any suggestions? Oh, I travel with a 5 year old and my wife - we drive Hwy 1 every summer (well, until recently when the narcos went balllististic) in Baja - yep, we used to set up a crib every night and camp with my son. Now, we must wait for Baja to relax...

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Tires for Astro GTRV

Post by ihatemybike »

Without installing a lift, you could probably get away with running the 225/70R16.

Green came stock with 215/75R15 and currently has 225/75R15 with no trouble.

I tried stuffing 235/75R15 tires in a non-lifted van and had lots of rubbing.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

For strength, reliability, stiffenning up the ride, and all round traction, I would have to think that BFG ATs will work as well as anything. I've had three sets of them over my driving lifetime and was very satisfied, although I went the Pathfinder AT for my Astro because I wanted them to excel in wet pavement first, then off road second. While they are certainly not built as tough as a BFG AT, I haven't noticed yet.

But I haven't had the opportunity to risk being stuck in Baja yet, either.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=28213

I'm curious to know if you have also tried changing the stock shocks to something a little more stiff?

Did GTRV also do your interior? Would love to see pics if they did, as well as exterior pics.

Where in Idaho are you? And if I haven't asked quite enough questions yet, why do you do Baja in the summer instead of the winter?

Welcome to ASV.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
JBZ

Post by JBZ »

The GTRV was just the pop-top and the front passenger seat to a captains chair. No need for all the other stuff, but wish I could have afforded the rear bed (I have since rigged one for my six year and one adult). It's been raining too hard to get pictures of the pop-top - once it stops (it's been four weeks) I will send photos.
As for Baja in the summer - I am a high school teacher and that is the only time off - I have gone over winter break, but two weeks is just not enough. Thanks for information on the shocks - they are original (58K on the van) - suggestion on type?

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

JBZ wrote:The GTRV was just the pop-top and the front passenger seat to a captains chair. No need for all the other stuff, but wish I could have afforded the rear bed (I have since rigged one for my six year and one adult). It's been raining too hard to get pictures of the pop-top - once it stops (it's been four weeks) I will send photos.
As for Baja in the summer - I am a high school teacher and that is the only time off - I have gone over winter break, but two weeks is just not enough. Thanks for information on the shocks - they are original (58K on the van) - suggestion on type?
Bilsteins for shocks... I wished I'd spent the money and bought some.

I've got KYBs on my high top conversion and they aren't stiff enough for me.

Welcome to ASV! With your van, it sounds like you will fit in well here.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

In my previous 1995 Safari RWD van, I replaced factory "P" tires with LT tires. Like for like rubber size - except in LT flavor. LT tires have stiffer side walls and are great for towing and/or sharp cornering. I loved the feel of those LT tires. Firm and they removed the "slosh / roll" feeling around fast sharp corners.

In my previous AWD Safari van, I replaced its factory "P" 225/75R15 with "P" 225/70R15 tires - on its factory rims. Yes. These tires had smaller rubber height. And being smaller rubber height, they felt tighter around the sharp corners as well. Being a "P" tires, they felt softer then LT tires on the rough flats. I found my previous AWD Safari was a "slug". Puting smaller height rubber on this van means its speedo would show 60 mph but its real ground speed was 57.5 mph. (Most people drive 65 in a 60 mph zone anyway - LOL!). But with smaller rubber height tires, its engine reved higher on the hiway speeds. Which created better "power torque" on hills and fighting head wind. Especially when my van was towing or loaded down. And, putting smaller height rubber was less expensive then changing both AWD axle gearing. re: From 342 down to 373 (to me, all AWD gearing should be 373 gearing). For my preivous AWD Safari passenger van with default factory gearing (that needed new tire rubber anyway), going with smaller height rubber was a great decision. Going with "P" 225/70R15 as replacement rubber worked good.

During my 15+ vehicle ownership (during the years - LOL!), I like Michelin brand tires the best. Had too many inner "belt shifts" with Good Year brand. If you plan to keep your van for many years, purchase a good brand of tire. If planning on selling in 2 years, then go with most "cost effective" tires. For example, Hurcules tires. As shown at: http://www.herculestire.com/ The Hercules "P" tires on my previous AWD van worked great for my 95% passenger + 5% towing needs.

Hope this helps...

hooptytank

Post by hooptytank »

Hi everyone, 1st post, and currently searching for an AWD van of my own.

BFGs are the only tire brand I would trust for any type of off road duty. Some may have differing opinions, but most can't say they have raced and won the San Felipe 250, Baja 500, and Baja 1000 on BFGs. I've also had them on several of my play trucks and have hit rocks and ruts hard enough to break suspension components and bend rims, for some reason the tires keep holding air :cheers:

Go to a tire shop that has BFGs and several tires that you're considering and check out the sidewall thickness, you won't need any special tools to notice the difference. They are also quiet for an off road tire. See ya down south!