AWD tire wear differential specification?

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
tkic
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

AWD tire wear differential specification?

Post by tkic »

so, i crashed my van. too lazy to put the studs on, hit some ice and smacked into a snowplow. bent the frame, tons of body damage, cracked the oil pan, bent the steering knuckle and upper arm, etc... but i rigged it all back together and it's back in the game. so my question is, i have three 215/75/15 BFG a/t's with between 9-10/32nds of meat left on them and can't seem to find a similarly worn match. the spec on a new replacement is 16/32nds, if i get one new tire will it burn up my drivetrain? is there an ideal position for a tire with more meat on it? in the mean time i've been running some nearly to the bars kelly safari tires, (passenger rated) and i'm waiting for them to explode and leave me and six passengers in a bloody mess. just don't trust'em, nor can i step up and buy a new set of LT's. thanks!
98 awd tank

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: AWD tire wear differential specification?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You NEED new tires! They are the only thing keeping you and your passengers on the road and alive!!!

That said...you could possibly run the 1 better tire on the front and run the same ones on the rear and other front. The front diff is open and will allow differential action. I can't guarantee you won't cause severe issues with the transfer case and/or front diff. Both will cost to repair about what a set of tires would cost to buy.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: AWD tire wear differential specification?

Post by ihatemybike »

I agree, get a new set. You can sell the old ones on CL or similar.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86