no high speed on blower

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

no high speed on blower

Post by batmo »

Ive got an '86 that wont blow on high. low and medium works fine.

have replaced the switch allready.

any suggestions? thnx!

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: no high speed on blower

Post by Rileysowner »

If it is not the switch it could be the blower resistor module. I'm not sure where it would be on your model year, but I'm sure someone will be able to say, or you can just follow the wires back from the blower motor.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Some years had a high-speed relay, available, unfortunately, only at the stealership. The aftermarket relays may work, but don't fit. Yours is in that group.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I had the same problem on my '87. The blower relay fixed it. It is located on the passenger side of the firewall, near the blower motor, right next to the fuel pump relay. The blower resistor is also located nearby, it is in the evaporator case.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

I bet it is the blower relay! I wasnt aware it had one.

I'll report back what I find.

thnx again!

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

Yes it was.. but it wasnt actually a bad relay. It had a bad ground connection at the relay.

the plastic arround the ground connector was actually melted too. I cleaned the connections and lubbed them with dilectric grease and re-installed. now its High-Speed again!

thnx

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Cool! It's always nice when it costs zero dollars to fix the problem!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

resurrect ....

anyone tell me where this high speed relay would be located on a 97 ?

thanks
rob
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Crash,

There is a good PDF explaining where, and how to replace.

It can be found here: http://www.benoitcloutier.com/BAGNOLES/ ... tor_EN.pdf

Hope it helps, Jim

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks Jim.. actually, knew all that one.. that's if the high only is working and none of the others.

mine is the opposite, like the first post.

I think you might be confusing the blower motor resistor with the high speed relay
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Oops Sorry

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Crash,

I did some diggin, and the High Speed Blower Relay is inside the resistor assy.

Hope it helps, Jim

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

hmm.. interesting. thanks for checking into that Jim.. (and redeeming yourself :yawinkle: hehee)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

hbastro1994
I am merely driving my van

Post by hbastro1994 »

BLOWER RESISTOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIGH SPEED FAN OPERATION!
If you look at a schematic you will notice that when you have the fan speed set to "high, " 12 volts is supplied to the high "a/c blower relay", which (after the contacts close) sends 12 volts directly to the blower causing the fan to run at high speed. At the same time this relay is activated, the "blower resistor network" is removed from the fans circuit by way of the "blower switch." So it is impossible for "blower resistor network"to have any influence upon the fan and it's operation! This applied 12 volts supplied through the relay to the fan comes from a "junction block" which is always "hot" with 12 volts. It runs through this junction block, then through a "fusible link fuse," then to the contacts of the a/c blower relay.

hbastro1994

Post by hbastro1994 »

NO CHASSIS/BATTERY GROUND ON BLOWER MOTOR?
I have a 1994 Astro van with no high speed fan operation, all other speeds work. I've noticed that the ground lug (and blower case) are not electrically connected to chassis ground (battery ground). The blower motor's case appears to be isolated from the chassis . Hmmm? How can the fan operate on all other speeds but not the high speed, especially if the blower ground is isolated from the chassis (battery ground)? On high speed, there is voltage on the relay side, and the relay is activated. I shorted this red wire to the purple wire (which attaches to the blower) so as to eliminate the relay, but, nothing happens! It seems that there is not enough current to run the fan on high mode. Something weird in this supposedly constant hot (12v) side of the relay. While I had engine set to 'run' and climate control fan set to 'high' I tried to get the fan to run in 'high' by also connecting a ground from the chassis to the ground side of blower. STILL, THE BLOWER WOULD NOT RUN AT ALL! So if its a ground issue why wouldn't the blower work when I applied this ground? Interestingly, if I unplug the ground from the blower and check for continuity of it to the chassis (battery ground) it is shorted/connected. So to recap, I only have chassis/battery ground connected through ground wire which attaches to the blower, but, no ground from blower case to chassis/battery ground. What am I not seeing?

Also, does the cpu/pcu supply a 'bias voltage "to the 'always hot side of the relay?" If it did, this could account for no high current to operate the fan on high speed. But, I eliminated this possibility by using my test lamp at this red wire on relay to ground and it did not light.

UPDATE: HIGH SPEED FAN CAPABILITY CONFIRMED.
I was able to confirm blower motor does work at High speed by connecting the positive side of the battery directly to the fan. I disconnected the purple wire from the high side of the fan and left the black ground wire plugged into the fan. SO, THIS PROVES THAT THE 12V ON THE RELAY SIDE IS NOT ABLE TO SUPPLY THE CURRENT NECESSARY FOR THE FAN TO OPERATE THROUGH THE RELAY. THE ISSUE NOW IS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THIS RED WIRE GOES. THE SCHEMATIC SHOWS THERE IS A FUSELINK IN SERIES GOING BACK TO A "POWER DISTRIBUTION, JUNCTION BLOCK. NO IDEA WERE THIS IS LOCATED OR WHAT TO DO ONCE I FIND IT.

Note:
BLOWER RESISTOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIGH SPEED FAN OPERATION!
If you look at a schematic you will notice that when you have the fan speed set to "high, " 12 volts is supplied to the high "a/c blower relay", which (after the contacts close) sends 12 volts directly to the blower causing the fan to run at high speed. At the same time this relay is activated, the "blower resistor network" is removed from the fans circuit by way of the "blower switch." So it is impossible for "blower resistor network"to have any influence upon the fan and it's operation! This applied 12 volts supplied through the relay to the fan comes from a "junction block" which is always "hot" with 12 volts. It runs through this junction block, then through a "fusible link fuse," then to the contacts of the a/c blower relay.