6.0 into 2wd 95 safari van.. anyone done it?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Gordon
I finally get the smurf thing

6.0 into 2wd 95 safari van.. anyone done it?

Post by Gordon »

Just wondering if anyone has done a 6.0L into a 2wd van yet?

I have the option to get either the "normal" 5.7L tbi engine or a 6.0L mpfi engine with computer and wiring.

I'd like to do the 6.0 but im unsure of how it would mount.
1995 GMC Safari 5.7L RICE EATER... MUHAHAHAHA

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 6.0 into 2wd 95 safari van.. anyone done it?

Post by mdmead »

From what I'm seeing putting a 5.3 into my AWD, it is going to be a ton of work. I'd go with a 5.7L if I was starting today. (And who knows, I may end up there yet!)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

the 6.0 peaks my interest mainly because you can stuff a large engine in the stock bay without having distributor clearance issues unlike an old school BBC.

I'm going to look at this 6.0 tomorrow... unfortunately the engine is already pulled so all i can do is a compression test.

It only has 25,000 kms on it so it should be good as new.

Came from a 2002 Avalanche truck....factory says 375hp and 395 ft/lbs torque....i say WOOHOO FUN TIMES :yikes:

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

A 4.8, 5.3 & 6.0 are all basically the same dimensions & have the same hurdles to overcome in installing them. They are a completely different family of engines & require alot of fabrication/modification work to make them fit & operate. Not a task to be taken lightly .... as mdmead has already mentioned.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hardest thing for me in any swap is coming up with the cash for the engine and trans.... after that, smooth sailing.

I have this knack for figuring things out as I go along and usually the end result turns out pretty good.

I have to check around but I think i'm gonna mount this engine using a front engine plate and a custom trans support.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Issues with it going into an AWD include pan interference, A/C compressor interference and exhaust manifold clearance/interference. I don't know how it will be with a 2wd.

And then there is the wiring issue. If you are going to keep the fly-by-wire throttle, make sure you get the assembly from the wrecked truck. You are also probably looking at a custom ECM, or bypassing VATS at the minimum.

It is certainly doable though.

I do like the idea of a 6.0! I figure when I get my 5.3L sorted out, I can then easily swap it for a 6.0 or 6.2 down the road! (When I bought my 5.3L, 6.0 were rare and spendy! That's not the case anymore.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

By measurements the 6.0 should almost drop in like it was meant to be there.

Vats is no problem as i have pretty much any part i feel like ripping off the truck.

Wiring should be a snap as i've got the entire wiring harness from teh wrecked truck to salvage.

I will have to disable airbags and teh abs though.

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

I did a successful 5.3L into a 1998 Astro van and it works great. The 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0L are the same physical size.Here's what I posted on another topic in this forum.

I haven't set up a Photobucket account yet, but I'll get to it soon. Here's some details of the swap.
2005 Silverado 5.3L LM7 truck engine with original PCM and full engine harness, LS 4L60E transmission, 2005 Tahoe exhaust pipe w/cats and custom fabricated balance of exhaust with Magnaflow 2005 Silverado 5.3L spec muffler and 3 " pipes.
Truck uses ALL emissions equipment and dianostic port for easy troubleshooting and repairs,

Hand fabricated engine mount adapter plates, standard transmission mount in original location, custom fabricated trans crossmember (to accomodate cross pipe for exhaust), factory 5.3L exhaust manifolds, modified 2005 Tahoe exhaust pipe with twin cats and all four O2 sensors, fabricated 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, all original style exhaust hangers in all Astro original locations to support system, new 4L60E transmission for LS series engines, electronic throttle and throttle control module (my year truck and PCM needed them, but they work fine), factory spark plug wires, slightly relocated coil modules (still on rocker covers), original Astro A/C system located in original factory left hand top location, Additional relay circuit to operate factory A/C compressor clutch relay, relocated alternator to right hand mid top location, fabricated alternator mount system with additional idler wheel and manual tensioner (spring belt tensioner removed, no problems with belt tension), recored (thicker) radiator modified with throttle body vent tube in correct rad location, custom 4" intake arrangement, modified fan shroud utilizing original thermostatically controlled mechanical fan (no electrics here), modified underhood fuse panel to accept 6 new fuses and 2 additional relays required to operate the 5.3L engine (the panel has empty slots to accomodate the extras), modified top of doghouse to clear A/C hose, various insulated brackets to prevent spark plug wires from contacting doghouse, modified oil dipstick and tube assembly (trans and oil dipsticks in original underhood locations), Aeromotive adjustable bypass type fuel flow regulator (engine only has a feed line, no fuel return to tank), fabricated heat shields to protect underbody and other items from cat and exhaust heat, and a lot more which currently escapes me.

My truck ran for 10 years without a problem or breakdown, so the premise of my design was to duplicate as much of the factory design as possible (for the Astro and the Silverado powertrain), to give me another 10 years of troublefree operation. It cost as much as a very good used car, but it was well worth it. Started first time (after I followed the factory procedure to reprogram my VATS system). Even the VATS reprogramming was super easy, it just takes 1/2 hour to do, and 99% of that time is waiting for the PCM to do it's thing.
I am and Industrial Mechanic and Machinist by trade, so it wasn't difficult, just time consuming. With a bit of patience and time, anyone can do this swap. Buy the way, I did all this in my 20' x 30' home shop.