Service Engine Light Flashing at 100km/h........

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Hey Jana.. I just sent you an email. The ODBII scanners went on sale today (until the 9th) at Canadian Tire for $149 ...
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Jana Banana
I am merely driving my van

Post by Jana Banana »

Thx crash - I haven't checked in lately!

Update - the check engine light hasn't come on since this all began now. Actually hubby got it to flash once when he took it on a hard drive up some good incline. But nothing since...... So have we solved our problem? I dont' know what to think, but want to know for sure before we end up towing our boat behind the van this summer!

Ps - crash - I'll email you about the egr screen.
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

Topic author
Jana Banana

Re: Service Engine Light Flashing at 100km/h........

Post by Jana Banana »

This is cross posted on the 'other' site - but I wanted to post here too so I could make sure to get lots of feedback - you guys always save my butt when it comes figuring out my vans :) .....

So I'm back....... with a flashing engine light again, same deal, on the highway, approx 110 km/h while under slight load/driving up gradual incline. Ease off the gas, light stops flashing approx 10/15 secs later. Shop read code - it is again 0300... Had new cap/rotor (yes, brass one) put in last month, all good until 2 days ago when light again flashed on highway. The thing is though I'm not feeling a misfire or noticeable difference in it's driving ability when the light flashes, so it's a very minimal misfire at best right now. Back in shop today, new cap/rotor again (on the odd chance I got a faulty one last month) and misfire is reading in 4, 5 and 6. Shop (this is a new shop that I'm dealing with, highly recommended, seems to be treating me right so I'm going to trust in them) mechanic is saying it could possibly be the spider assembly starting to go, perhaps a cracked gas return line - won't know for sure unless they take it all apart, 2-3 hrs labour. I asked what they thought of the CMP retard possibility and they said they would expect it to throw another code along with the 0300 if that was the case...

So I'm asking for feedback yet again.... Does their logic make sense? The mechanic said he's done 8 spider replacements in the last 2 1/2 yrs on these vans, all with more than 125,000 km. The crappy thing apparently is that the spider assembly is a GM only part so it's a more than $2000 fix :( So for now they want me to drive it until it becomes a noticeable drive-ablility issue. I took it for a drive on the highway to the same spot and now it won't flash the light since they put the new cap/rotor in this morning....

TIA for all your knowledge and input :) When I was chatting with the mechanic apparently I impressed them with my astro/safari knowledge 'cause one mechanic said to a tech 'hell, she knows more about cars than you do!' Made me feel good, hehe!
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Hey Jana,
Seems like the misfire might? be fixed? with a cap & rotor?
You said you had them replaced (previously) with a brass contact ones - make sure they are AC Delco ones.
The current shop you are dealing with says they have replaced 8 of the injector spiders in the last 2 1/2 years. This is a valid repair as there is an updated assy for the '96 - 06 models, but probably not necessary. I have replaced the spiders on these one, but more as a last resort. He also might be getting the years of vans confused with mention of the 'fuel line nut kit' as this was a problem on the '92 - '95 models. Get them to do the CMP retard adjustment procedure 1st. This will not throw a different code as they suggest - just cause a faulty P0300 code or a misfire feel. This is a procedure that is much less costly & is very effective.
As mentioned previously, I have worked at a GM shop for almost 20 years (yikes) & have fixed many of these with this simple procedure, even ones that have come to me from other shops.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

Thx James - I took the van for a good burn tonight up the malahat (for those of you familiar with Vancouver Island). Got the light to flash once at about 95km/h while under somewhat hard acceleration on a fair prolonged incline. Eased off the gas a bit and it went away. Continued the drive up the malahat to the summit without further problem. No noticeable misfire or problems.... Brand new cap/rotor was put in this morning - brand new everything else was done in february - wires, plugs, fuel filter blah blah blah. So I'm assuming it's not the cap/rotor now (will check to ensure AC Delco ones were used, thx) and now think it's time to check the CMP retard alignment...
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

JohnAEC

Post by JohnAEC »

Have you changed your fuel filter yet? This will cause the exact fuel-starvation symptoms you're seeing.

John
'99 Astro
John

'99Astro LX

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

I'm baaaack.......

V8Fam - lights been flashing as usual for the last couple of months despite the new cap/rotor. I've been ignoring it :whistle: Yesterday though when it started flashing at 90km/h up an incline it didn't stop flashing until I got to my destination and shut the van off (40 minutes later - it usually stops flashing within a minute or 2). No significant feeling of misfire to *layman* me... took to shop today. They're getting codes suggesting mass airflow sensor problem and misfiring in almost all cyclinders especially #5. They are again replacing the cap for me because there was some evidence of wear and the coil and wire are corroded (which they are also replacing at my insistence). I specifically instructed them to check the specs for the CMP retard - they says their sensor indicates that's fine - but they don't have a specific enough scan tool to get a specific numbered read-out on the spec. They have asked me to take it to the dealership for all further repairs on this. Sooooooo - my question to you is - What can I expect from the dealership when I ask them to diagnose the mass airflow sensor and check the CMP retard? If that CMP retard is found to be out of spec will they do the 'grind out to rotate the housing' like you've mentioned previously or will they want to do a big parts replacement???? I don't want to pay the dealership a huge whack of $$$ - but it seems my shop now isn't up for this job either...

TIA for any and all input *sigh* once again.........

PS, Yes, thx John - the fuel filter was replaced when all this problem started and a complete tune-up was done...
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

Ok, picked up the van and learned a bit more....

They again put in a new cap, replaced the coil wire (end was corroded) and cleaned up the coil - all at no charge once again. Drive home was noticeably smoother, van seemed more responsive etc. Although like I said before - previously I didn't notice significant mis-fire, would just describe it more as slightly rough or sluggish, regardless of the engine light being triggered to flash or not.

When I picked it up I was told the cam position sensor is at 0 degrees - so I guess I mis-understood the tech earlier on the phone - and that would effectively rule out the CMP retard possibility... The scan tool they used threw 2 codes - P0101 - mass air flow sensor (which would effect performance they advised) and the 0300 random misfire. The interesting part is this, here's the breakdown on the number of misfires each cylinder has had...

#1 - 55
#2 - 3
#3 - 4
#4 - 25
#5 - 1955
#6 - 160

Soooo - they've asked me to take it to the dealership for further disagnosis and repair because they acknowledge the dealership will be better equipped to diagnosis and repair with their specialized test equipment (as they put it). They're guessing the problem may with the poppet valves that run from the spider assembly (specifically the one to cyclinder #5 at least). Seems logical to me? But why would the coil/wire have corroded in just one year since the full tune up? Why would the cap be showing signs of wear in 2-3 mths?

So what can everyone tell me about that guess? Can the poppet valves be replaced seperately from the spider assembly itself? Any input would be greatly appreciated before I book a diagnostic appt with the dealership for next week...
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Jana,for code reader look on e-bay.I bought one for $60,- new - since $US and $CDN is par you will be way ahead even with the difference in shipping.Manfred
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

Yes, I should probably buy a code reader at some point - thx for the ebay tip, hadn't thought to look there. At this point I just want to get to the bottom of what these codes are trying to tell me and get it fixed properly... ](*,)
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oh My hi Jana!!! I do hope your problem will get resolved. You got some super people here helping you out.

I just wanted to post to let you know to check in on our local meets if you and family can ever come out. There will be a camp out. Could I ask you to do us a favor? (this is evil muahaha) - take some photos of the Malahat (spring time now awesome) and post here for folks to see. Just totally beautiful. Please? Photo from highway out west over the gulf and a few photos of the forest there would be awesome!

I live in Richmond ... have not had any time in the last 1 1/2 years to go visit Vancouver Island. This year I kind of want to go to the Charlottes.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

Hey Jana,
Sorry to hear your troubles are persisting. When the shop said that your CMP reading spec was 0 degrees, was that after it had been reved up to 1500 rpm? It needs to have been reved up to this level to update the reading. If it was & the reading is truly 0 degrees (@ 1500 rpm), than the CMP adjustment procedure is taken out as a posibility.

With the addition of the code P0101 you do have the chance that the mass air flow sensor is failing or the cat convertor is plugging (among other things).
As to why the coil wire corroded? When I install spark plug wires, I always add more dielectric grease to the boots to seal them up from the elements. If his was not done, this could explain the corrosion.
As to the distributor cap being replaced again, it is a quick ( & relatively inexpensive) procedure to replace them as part of an elimination process & it is not unheard of for these items to fail.

The big thing here is, Is it actually misfiring, or is it just thowing/setting a false code? This is the big question that needs to be determined before setting a path to a possible repair. This can be determined by a competent & experienced technician. Once this is determined, a solution can & will be found.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

phr1$k37 - thanks for the invite! Next time I'm up the malahat I'll take pics - don't know when that will be though... But yes, as any west coaster knows - it's such a beautiful place here on the island :) I've never been to the Charlottes - sounds like a great trip though!

V8famvan - thanks for the very informative reply! I have no idea if they revved it up to 1500 when reading the CMP. I'm thinking at this point considering the shop asked me to take it to the dealership that they feel proper repair is over their heads. So off to the dealership I go... and with baited breath I wait to see what they come up with. I've had such bad experiences with dealerships in the past that I worry though (no offense V8famvan, lol). I REALLY appreciate the expertise you have shared here with me - I feel much better going into discussions with them with some info and knowledge base to work from.

I'll update after I've heard back from the dealership on Monday
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

Well, it seems to have been an easy fix. Apparently when the shop i had been dealing with replaced the distributor last December they didn't remove the vent screens *GRRRR* Even "I" know that has to be done with these vans #-o (Guess I won't be going back to that shop anytime soon - thankfully they've been replacing the caps for free ever since or they'd be hearing from me!). So the dealership dealt with that properly for me and said it needed an injector clean/flush. They actually warned the injectors might be on their way out as well but was hopeful the flush would take care of the misfire problem. So they just called to say the van is ready to go and running fine again after the flush. I think I'll hold my breath and wait a little before I believe it myself though - i'm such a pessimist sometimes, lol.

Thanks for all the great advice here everyone!!! Time to go for a test drive tonight \:D/
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!

Topic author
Jana Banana

Post by Jana Banana »

Apparently the pessimist in me was rearing it's ugly head for a reason...

First time on the highway this morning since getting the van back from the dealership shop. Damn check engine light came flashing on as usual... I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!! I'm going away for the long weekend so have booked the van back in the shop for 1st thing Tuesday morning. Talked with them today - his next guess is the multi-port injector system - $475+ Says the injectors aren't individually replaced in my van, the whole assembly has to be done. They'll do their scan and diagnosis but that's his over the phone possibility guess. I think I'll ask them to do a fuel pressure leakdown test while it's there - considering the diagnosis costs will be covered by them this time...GRRRRRR

PS When the van was in at the dealership earlier this week they found the cam retard to be 8 degrees not at zero as the other shop had said, so they adjusted that as well. NEVER returning to the other shop.
2001 Astro - NO AWD
134,000 KM

Kid Hauler Extreme!