2000 cargo 2wd - removal of stock alarm

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Jared
I am merely driving my van

2000 cargo 2wd - removal of stock alarm

Post by Jared »

So I bought a 2000 astro cargo about 2 months ago... drove over a speed bump the other day and was presented with a surprise: the Prestige (Audiovox) APS255 alarm control unit dropped out from under the dash to expose the harness connection point - where almost all the wires have been cut.

I am assuming this unit also controls my keyless entry system - which IS still working... perhaps these are the few remaining uncut wires? or is there a separate receiver for the keyless entry remote?

I am also assuming the wires have been cut due to some kind of failure in the alarm system... so if possible I'd like to remove the APS255 completely, as long as I don't lose the keyless system in the process. Eventually I will be installing a good aftermarket alarm with a pager remote.

Anyone here know what kind of a job I'm looking at? It appears the APS255's harness point is routed up the steering column, didn't take the time to trace it back further yet.

Thanks for any insights offered.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Maybe this will help get things started

http://cartoys.com/cartoy/pdfs/aps255_install.pdf

Topic author
Jared

Post by Jared »

Thanks! That link is most helpful indeed.

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Jared,

Is the keyless remote a GM one? Look on the back of it and it should say something about GM 10244625 Canada 218 101 487 FCC ID######
If it does, then you probably don't need to worry about the aftermarket alarm module. The keyless fob you have is original equipment, and you probably don't need to worry about the aftermarket module. It is probably already out of the system, judgingg by the fact that it fell out from under the dash!

Mark
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Topic author
Jared

Post by Jared »

It turns out the keyless entry system is tied into the Prestige APS-255. I was told by the original owner that it was a stock alarm, and since there was no logo on the remote I just didn't question that. But it definately is not a GM remote, the the model number on the back of the remote matches the Prestige alarm.

So for now I have just capped all the runs and tie-wrapped the control unit back in place with only the necessary connections to keep the keyless entry system intact. I'll just use it this way until I can afford a good alarm, looks like I'll be able to re-use at least some of the original runs at least.
2000 Astro Cargo 2WD
2nd Owner - Purchased at 69,000 mi