Fuel Pump - Fuel Sender Assembly - Replacement Procedure

Tank, pump, filter, regulator, injectors and poppet valves etc.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Fuel Pump - Fuel Sender Assembly - Replacement Procedure

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

By putting Astro front and rear up on ramps, there is lots of clearance to work, especially since my 2003 also has the 2" body lift, and coil over shocks in rear.
I used Harbor Freight motorcycle Jack to support tank. It works great.

See photos.

One photo shows the EVAP solenoid box hanging by the vapor line.
So far all of the quick connect fitting were pretty easy to release. I sprayed the fittings with Silicine spray lube prior to removing to lube the little O rings too.

Also, I had disconnected the fuel filter and the metal hard line coupler near the filter.
Caution, there are O rings in the metal threaded coupler. O rings appear OK , but I may replace them anyway.

AP
Attachments
EVAP solenoid box has vapor lines and electrical
EVAP solenoid box has vapor lines and electrical
HF motorcycle jack
HF motorcycle jack

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Fuel to the People!

<Off topic content removed. I asked you nicely at New Years to keep it out of the technical section please. - MMJ>

I ordered a replacement rubber filler hose since I damaged the end of original with flat blade screwdriver on removal.

On line $18 from Filler Neck supply.

On the 2003 Astro , it is 5 1/2" long rubber hose with taper to have 1" OD on the fill side and 1 1/4" ID on tank end.

The replacement hose is straight 1 1/4 ‘ I D hose with a rubber reducer on one end to get the 1" ID.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

New pump installed. Now, I can re install tank.

AP
Attachments
2003 Astro AC Delco MU1380 installed
2003 Astro AC Delco MU1380 installed

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Astro runs great now with new fuel pump.

<irrelevant information removed>

AP

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

@Astrophysics :yawinkle: Congrats on a successful pump replacement. I's considering the MU1380 (General Motors Corp. P/N# 15036173) as a stock upgrade for my M11006 three years ago.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The Astro tank is actually easier to remove than the ones on the Tahoe and Yukon. The super long strap M10 1.5 mm pitch, bolts are 70 mm long which lets one lower the straps about 1 1/2 inches to allow the Fuel and Return quick connectors to be released before lowering the tank. The OEM bolts were captivated by the slightly tight fit hole in strap. This made it difficult to finger tight the bolts. I used a round file to enlarge the holes then used plastic clips to captivate the bolts, and allow easy spin of bolts on reassembly. Lube the bolts and threaded inserts with Silicon spray.

The spacing between the straps is just wide enough to fit the rubber padded arms of the motorcycle Jack to fit,

My favorite new accessories was the WD 40 brand Silicone spray lube to spray on fuel line quick disconnects to lube the O. Rings.

The WD 40 spray can has the attached folding spray nozzle.

AP