Rear window swap

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Rear window swap

Post by Kidhauler »

Ok we are back in business so here goes.

This is for the installation of pop open windows on an 89 Safari van. I am assuming that all the old style doors are the same up to the ones with the big back window. (No pop outs on those)

Step one: Open door and remove the inside plastic panel.

Step two: Tape the window front and back and cover every inch. I didn't do this and when the window blew out it made a huge mess.

Step Three: On the first window I tried to pry it out of the seal starting in the corner. (See step 2 it broke) The windows are glued into the seal about half an inch wide all around the back side. On the second window I cut the seal off the outside on the second window and then ran the knife around the inside the window attempting to cut the window from the seal. I am convinced that this will work but you need to run the knife several times to ensure a good cut.

Step four: Once the window is cut from the seal gently pry the window out starting in one corner and working up the side and across the bottom or top edge at the same time. Try to keep the window from flexing this will stop it from breaking. (I broke my second window as well)

Step Five: Once the glass is out (if you break the window just put on gloves and push it out into the garbage can that’s what the tape was for.) You need to remove the old seal which is also glued to the door frame. If you broke the window it will shower little bits of glass everywhere when you pull the seal wear a face mask safety glasses might not be good enough. Cut the scraps of seal left so that you are down to a smooth surface on the frame of the window. Its ok if you can still see black don't mess up the paint.

Step six: Get the new seal and slide it into place. I used some silicone to hold it and make sure it doesn't move. I taped the first seal into place to allow time for the silicone to dry. I didn't do this on the second window and it seems to be a better job than the first. (Live and learn)

Step seven: Slide the window into place and position it left to right in the hole so you are happy it is centered.

Step Eight: Have your assistant (wife, child or slave will do :D ) Push on the top of the window gently so that it has some pressure against the seal to stop leaks. Remember how ever hard they push it will be that hard forever so get it right and practice a few times before you drill. When you are happy with the tension on the window seal drill the top latches out one hole on each latch and put in a pop rivet to hold the window in place. (Your assistant can now let go) you can now drill the other holes for the top hinge/bracket and rivet them into place.

Step nine: This if for putting the bottom latch into place using sheet metal screws as I thought that this was easier than using the stock style bolt that goes in the latch.

Put the inside panel back on the door and do all the screw and snaps up as it will not be coming off again. Put the latch in the closed position and have your assistant push lightly on the window from the outside to once again put some pressure on the seal. Now remember as hard as they push that pressure if for ever and if they push to hard you will never get the latch to close and your window will need to be left open.

Once you have some moderate pressure on the seal drill one of the bottom holes in the latch. You should be able to go on an angle past the handle part of the latch with out marking the handle. Just drill through the plastic enough to get a good mark now your assistant can let go of the window and you can flip the latch up out of the way and drill the hole right through the metal. I used a 5/32 drill bit for all the holes including the rivets. I also used I believe a #10 sheet metal screw with a rounded or button head. Once you have one hole drilled put the latch in place and in the open position and throw in a screw and tighten it. Now open and close the window to ensure you have a good latch position. If you are happy then drill the other 2 holes and tighten in some screws. If you are unhappy you can try again using the bottom hole on the other side.

Step ten: Open a nice ice cold wobbly pop and stand back and admire what a handy guy you are. :cool: Now if you used silicone on the window seal and didn't allow time for it to dry before drilling and installing the window you should close the window to hold the seal in place. Now clean up you tools and have a second beer.

All in all this was a way easier swap than I thought it would be. The first window took me about 3 hours to do but most of that time was cleaning it off the drive way and shop vac ing it out of the window. With the second window taped (have assistant do this while you remove the door panel) I just had to push it out of the hole when it broke. The second window probably only took me about 1 hour.

If I were to do this again I would probably forget about attempting to save the glass and just tape it right away and break it with a hammer tap to save time.

Enjoy and good luck

Kevin
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Nice 1st post, this is exactly the type of info that we want to archive in our Forums =D>

Topic author
Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Thanks zam I had been trying to post this on the main board for weeks and it got cut off so many times that it typed it up in word and saved it so I could stop re typing the whole thing everytime I tried to post it.

My idea in posting this is that it will work for someone with basic tools. It is a easy swap and you only need a drill, rivet gun , screwdriver and a knife. I know that the proper tools are avalible to get the window out without breaking it but I didn't want to drop more money on tools than on the windows. I picked up the windows for $50 with all the trim, latches and factory tint so they matched up really nicely.

Kevin O:)
teal green
300 000 kms

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I understand your frustration regarding the chopped posts, It can make you question why your spending your time trying to help others only to see your efforts get ruined, but I'm glad you didn't give up and decided to post it here

A nice inexpensive mod that just about anybody can do, ain't nobody can complain about that :)

Zaecobar
I am merely driving my van

Post by Zaecobar »

Be sure to leave the doors open when your letting the glue dry. If you close them, the van will heat up and push the windows out.
Burn@Astrosafari.com
Dustin, 21
Area 16 Jacksonville, Fl
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1990 GMC Safari SL
V6 4.3L TBI vin-Z
358,XXX miles

Topic author
Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I never thought of that I had the other windows in the van open but generally the temp isn't hot enough here to make it a major concern.

Thanks for the tip.

Kevin
teal green
300 000 kms

Archiev

Windows

Post by Archiev »

When I changed the windows out in my 88, I used a windshield cutter. It was a lot easier to use than a knife. Also, since I did'nt have any help, I held the window in place and marked all the holes with a permanent marker. Have someone there to help. That's a good idea #-o
Quando Omni Flunkas Moritati
(loosley translated, when all else fails, play dead)