Shop manual

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
ChrisG
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Shop manual

Post by ChrisG »

I need to get a shop maual for my new ride, 04 Astro AWD. Any suggestions on the best one or combinaton of two?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Shop manual

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you can afford it, get a factory service manual. They are quite a bit more expensive than a basic Chiltons or Haynes but have much more detailed info. I have a 3 volume set for my old 98 and it has everything from wiring schematics to engine/trans rebuilding instructions.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Yep, I agree with Dean above. Get the factory manual set--it's got everything you need inside it.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Check out Ebay. I got my FSM (two volumns) for $28.00. Had to pay a little extra for the Transmission, Transaxle, Transfer case volumn. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

And, short of that, my Haynes manual has served me very well.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

kings-x59 wrote:And, short of that, my Haynes manual has served me very well.
In retrospect, I should have ask what level of information was needed. I think a Haynes could be all that is needed according to what a person wants to do with his/her van. For me, though, the factory service manuals are the only way to go.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

I have both the Haynes and the FSM, altho the FSM contains more info they do not contain photos ( only diagrams, and not the best either ) so if you're the type that needs to look at a photo, then grab a Haynes while you are looking online to find a cheap set of FSM, if you are really thinking of doing all you're own work then having both is the way to go.

chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

Factory service manual for your year, from helminc.com It will be the best $135 you've ever spent on tools. The price is steep, but think of it like this. The Haynes or Chiltons is like 150 pages. But the shop manual (factory service manual) for your year is like 1500 pages--page for page, you're paying less...

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

OR.... you can always come here....the accumulated knowledge and experience of the members fills in all the gaps imho :supz:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

kings-x59 wrote:OR.... you can always come here....the accumulated knowledge and experience of the members fills in all the gaps imho :supz:
Amen to that!! You guys have saved my butt too many times to count!!!!
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

trybe13 wrote:
kings-x59 wrote:OR.... you can always come here....the accumulated knowledge and experience of the members fills in all the gaps imho :supz:
Amen to that!! You guys have saved my butt too many times to count!!!!
Amen x 2 brother :supz:

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

You know, I haven't even looked at my Haynes manual since I got the factory set-- it's obvious that I don't need it and that it's just occupying bookshelf space. So, does anyone want a lightly used Haynes manual that covers 1985-1998 Astro/Safaris? If so, drop me a PM with your address. No charge. I'll mail it to the first PM I get. Might take me a little bit of time to get it in the mail, though. It'll be good to get this book to someone who needs it.
Rob Shaver

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

You can also get manuals at your library and photocopy any parts you need. Some libraries will even let you access them from your home computer.

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:cheers: Thanks, @PhyllisRYeager, for the hyperlink. OnlyPDFManuals.com covers user Manuals for both brands of the 1999-2005 General Motors M-Body mid-van; don't have to extrapolate much to cover my 1997 M11006. Hopefully the Shop Manual covers the engine side of the steering column: My M11006 has a steering-fluid leak at the 'box and I've replaced that last hose, ruling out bad seals for the hoses; suspect therefore a bad wormshaft seal, but don't know how to pull the secondary-shaft cover (which bridges the gap betwixt the column and the 'box) to get at the top of the wormshaft.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

@Bret Schmerker
that was a spammer