Shock choice

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
ChrisG
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Shock choice

Post by ChrisG »

Hey folks, after a couple of months as an Astro owner I know that I am "all in" on being a van man for a long time. I have had a few issues that werent expected so the money I planned on using for a lift is long gone. I do desperately need to put on new shocks. I have run Rancho's on my numerous Jeeps so there is a comfort level for me with them. My question is...
What shocks can I put on now while the van is at stock height, and then use later with a lift and not have to buy shocks twice? I know that I can lift the van later with spacers and use the stock height shocks, but what about future lift using add a leaf, or new springs and torsion keys?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Shock choice

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I like the Rancho 9000XL series. For the rears, you can use stock length shocks with a 4" lift by using the shock relocation tabs. For the fronts you should also be able to use the stock ones as long as you don't go with the lift keys since the suspension will only travel so far. The shocks Overlandvans sells for lifted vans are just a stock length shock.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy