Slider turned into hinged door?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
1996astro
I get chills without my van.

Slider turned into hinged door?

Post by 1996astro »

I know a while back I read a post where somebody put hinges on their slider door... I have searched and searched and I can't seem to find the topic...

thanks
Brandon
Bay City, MI

1997 Astro LT 4x4 48,000 Miles,
Custom Lift: 3" body spacers, torsion keys,
4" leaf spring relocation mounts (by ME),
added a leaf spring from a 94 S10 blazer.
All this gives me 5-6 inches of lift.
General Grabber AT2 31X10.50R15
Custom fit Brush guard
Western 7' 6" plow pictures coming soon...
1997 Buick Century 198,000 miles

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: Slider turned into hinged door?

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I Gullwinged my sliding door, and fitted dutch doors to my `86 cargo then welded the two lower together and cut off those sticky out hinges. Was it mine you were thinking of ?

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Daren,,I can't let you get away with your bragging rights AGAIN. :muhaha:

You can also trash the slider by filling it and smoothing everything out for something very impracticle. :yawinkle:

89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Post by BREAK »

You guys have more pictures of your vans?
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You guys have more pictures of your vans?
My buddy Darren can fill up this thread with pics in a flash :muhaha: and will. :yawinkle: I'm bad about it also, so Darren,,you first budro.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Here is a link to some of my van body mods, on the British AstroSafari site. http://www.astrosafari.co.uk/forums/alb ... =1&apage=7 Some of the build-up pics are in the wrong order, but you will figure it out.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
1996astro

Post by 1996astro »

thanks for the replies but it wasn't your gull wing door. Although I like the idea I would not have enough room most the time to open it. The one I am thinking of was hinged on one side I can't remember which side. And no I certainly don't need it welded shut LOL. Right now I can only open it half way due to my wheels and tires sticking out which has become a pain for people to get in.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

Custom fit Brush guard

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i remember what you're talking about. i commented on the hinged slider when the pic was posted. i've just spent the last 20min searching and can't find the thread. i do recall that it was a member or a members friends van from switzerland or iceland... maybe my memory glitch will jog someones memory as to where/who it was

EDIT: BINGO!! duh.. i just did a search of my posts and there it was.. LOL (link below)
the details on the hinged slider are on 2nd page of that thread posted by Icelandastro

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3112&p=31561&hilit=+slider#p31561
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Would it be possible to trim the inside of the slider somehow to make it work? Like cut out the inside and make it flat or something down at the bottom?

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Not sure if anyone has ever done it,but I think turning a no window slider into a barn door cutting it down the center and hinging it on both ends would be cool.Kind of like the ones on some of the full size vans. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

1Gary wrote:Not sure if anyone has ever done it,but I think turning a no window slider into a barn door cutting it down the center and hinging it on both ends would be cool.Kind of like the ones on some of the full size vans. :-k
I agree it would be cool, but prolly countless hours of fabricating.

I am thinking now that the best option is to just add more lift until the door clears the tire.

Topic author
1996astro

Post by 1996astro »

i remember what you're talking about. i commented on the hinged slider when the pic was posted. i've just spent the last 20min searching and can't find the thread. i do recall that it was a member or a members friends van from switzerland or iceland... maybe my memory glitch will jog someones memory as to where/who it was

EDIT: BINGO!! duh.. i just did a search of my posts and there it was.. LOL (link below)
the details on the hinged slider are on 2nd page of that thread posted by Icelandastro

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3112&p=31561&hilit=+slider#p31561
That may be the van but there were pics showing the process of how it was done that I remember.

Would it be possible to trim the inside of the slider somehow to make it work? Like cut out the inside and make it flat or something down at the bottom?
I have already removed the door panel, doing this allows me to open it a bit further. If I remove material from the door then it wont seal.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

Custom fit Brush guard

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The solution is a lot simpler. I had the same problem when I put the 8" wheels on the "Smilievan". I removed the center of the right rear wheel and moved it 1 1/2" to give me the clearance I needed. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
1996astro

Post by 1996astro »

Smiliesafari wrote:The solution is a lot simpler. I had the same problem when I put the 8" wheels on the "Smilievan". I removed the center of the right rear wheel and moved it 1 1/2" to give me the clearance I needed. \:D/
Not really an option for me as I have aluminum wheels. Also then I would not be able to rotate tires without dismounting.
Brandon
Bay City, MI

Custom fit Brush guard

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

1gary i do recall seeing one with 40/60s like you were saying, but i dont remember when or where. i wanna say it was a "stereo system" van at a show that someone went to and posted pics of.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.