recommend a muffler for me

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
markinnh
I finally get the smurf thing

recommend a muffler for me

Post by markinnh »

Hello all, I have the following exhaust system so far: 2.5 inch down pipes going into a Y pipe from hedman then into a 3 inch hollowed cat con. Then from the muffler ( I have not bought yet)after the muffler I will have dual tail pipes made at a custom exhaust shop.

I need a Muffler that sounds good and flows great with 3 inch in and dual 2.5 out. Any recommendations?
Also anyone here ever tried the Summit race mufflers?
always tinkering with stuff

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: recommend a muffler for me

Post by SoCalli V8 »

This has been my experience with 3inch mufflers behind my V8.

#1 Magnaflow Ultra ; louder than stock good flow deep mellow tone.

#2 Flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber, much louder and deeper than stock (this is what I was looking for) will help a V6 definitely sound more macho, and make a V8 sound so phat, even at idle.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

Dynomax Super Turbo is the ONLY way to go. They flow better than the slow-master, and have more of a grown-up sound to them.

http://www.dynomax.com/assets/2008catal ... rturbo.pdf

I have either the 17770 or 17769 on my Syclone, and had one of those on my 97 Astro. Before I put the turbo kit on, I had several folks ask me if it had a V8. It had no highway drone, either. The last thing I wanted was the sound of a V6 on slow-masters.

I'm pretty sure the Super Turbos are cheaper, too... check Summit or Jegs.
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

Topic author
markinnh

Post by markinnh »

OK thanks for the recommendations I think this is what I will go with: Dynomax Performance 17674 - Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. The flowmasters don't flow as well from my research and they cost more.
always tinkering with stuff

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

97TurboAstro wrote:Dynomax Super Turbo is the ONLY way to go. They flow better than the slow-master, and have more of a grown-up sound to them.

http://www.dynomax.com/assets/2008catal ... rturbo.pdf

I have either the 17770 or 17769 on my Syclone, and had one of those on my 97 Astro. Before I put the turbo kit on, I had several folks ask me if it had a V8. It had no highway drone, either. The last thing I wanted was the sound of a V6 on slow-masters.

I'm pretty sure the Super Turbos are cheaper, too... check Summit or Jegs.
X2. A buddy of mine had/has a muffler shop for years, and has put about every muffler you can think of on about every vehicle you can name. The muffler above is the only choice for a V6. Flows are awesome sounding (yes, I'm a redneck, lol) on V8s, IMO, but not so good on V6s. I didn't get a chance to ask him if that muffler comes as a replacement for the yearly '90s chevy trucks; they were 3" in and dual 2.25" or 2.5" out, can't remember which one. Single in dual out is the best way to got if you want dual tail pipes.

Edit: I didn't scroll down far enough, that muffler does come in a single in dual out.

loopie

Post by loopie »

Just for future readers of this thread....FlowTech AfterBurner, great muffler! Very low rumble at idle, noise increases with rpm nicely and evenly...ZERO droan, ever.

I have had the Dynomax ST on a 3.0 V6 Toyota 4Runner, no cat, 2" single piping and it did sound absolutely perfect.