QUICK question to guys w/lifted vans

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: QUICK question to guys w/lifted vans

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looks great! Get the cutoff wheel ready...you'll need to trim a fair amount to fit the 31"+ tires you have.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Looks great! Get the cutoff wheel ready...you'll need to trim a fair amount to fit the 31"+ tires you have.
tell me about it i started at around 10:00 am this morning and i just finished (for today) since i got other things to do ill finish later, i just need to trim the back side of the front wells, there is a pinch weld that goes across the bottom that needs to be cut (since that is the only spot where is hitting) check out the pics in the link below and go to lifted...
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

well it looks like the work is not gonna end for a while i ran into some clearance issues it looks like my 3" lift is not gonna be enough to clear the rear tires. ](*,) as of now my problem area is the front of the rear wheel well currently i have 1/2" of clearance in between the tire and the well and as soon as i hit the gas it rubs, also when the axle flexes, i been reading a couple of old posts and i found that 9DAWGS had to re-drill his front spring hangers to actually move the axle back so that it would clear his 31" tires, hey 9dawgs if you read this could you post some pics of the hangers and also of your driveshaft at the transmission end.
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

You don't have to redrill the holes. Just reverse the front hangers. The hole is off center. You will always have issues with 31"s on the rear if you don't have an add a leaf or something to firm up the rear springs. The axle wrap with the steel springs is extensive with the big tires. Even if you trim the fenders, the first time you try to go up a steep incline you will scrape up those nice new tires.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Lockdoc is 100% on the money. This is even more true when you use a lift block and not a longer shackle and add-a-leaf. The tires you are using are taller than a standard 31x10.5R15 tire by probably 1/2" diameter.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

lockdoc wrote:You don't have to redrill the holes. Just reverse the front hangers. The hole is off center. You will always have issues with 31"s on the rear if you don't have an add a leaf or something to firm up the rear springs. The axle wrap with the steel springs is extensive with the big tires. Even if you trim the fenders, the first time you try to go up a steep incline you will scrape up those nice new tires.
ok so if i reverse them will this cause any troubles with the driveline? am i gonna need a longer one? :-k or am i gonna be ok? im probably gonna end up adding a leaf tomorrow... so to the junkyard it is....

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I didn't run into any issues turning them around other than the fact you may need to drop the gas tank to remove the bolts.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

well i just bought the lift shackles from OV yesterday, and today i built my own spring pack 5 leaf total and a Lot of ARCH :guitar: i will be installing later when shackles arrive.

Big Al
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Big Al »

Soyry to go off topic- @Unrreal, what Westin pushbar are you using? That looks sick, what truck was it originally made for? Any mod needed?

2005 Astro Base AWD: 4" Overland lift - Bilstien Shocks (yup) - 8x16s 245/75/16 - trans cooler - Alarm - K&N - Magnaflow - JVC - thermo tint, Reese Pro receiver

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Might not get an answer soon, the last post was over 3 1/2 years ago. Try a direct PM to him.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Anything for a newish Chevy 1500, 2500 or 3500 series truck fits the width of the van and matches the grille spacing. Nothing will bolt right up without some modification. If you have moderate skills and tools it shouldn't be too difficult to make something fit.

The outer loops vary depending on the year of the Chevy truck you select. I personally prefer the squarish loops around the headlamps since it matches the van.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
unrreal

Post by unrreal »

Big Al wrote:Soyry to go off topic- @Unrreal, what Westin pushbar are you using? That looks sick, what truck was it originally made for? Any mod needed?
Talk about reviving an old thread.. The pushbar I installed is from a chevy avalanche and yes I had to modify the supplied brackets to make it fit my van a lot of measuring and a little cutting and drilling new holes trough steel on the brackets and the pushbar itself but is doable it just takes some time.