1996 AWD Front Driveshaft

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

1996 AWD Front Driveshaft

Post by sxfx »

First off let me say thanks to the members of this forum who have helped me out with my craziest rear end problems a few months back.

The van made the move from Illinois to California with out a problem towing a close to 4000lb trailer and the full family inside hehe.

Now on to my problem. My front drive shaft ate complete crap, meaning the u joint portion, I think I need a new drive shaft since it seems like its the part on the ujoint carrier thing thats broken.

My real question however is. I have searched from top to bottom and never really saw a direct answer.

If I have a 1996 Astro with the mechanical viscous transfer case, can I drive around with out my front drive shaft with out damaging anything for a little until my new one comes in or is that a no no.

I don't drive much just to work, school, and back on a daily basis but this is my main means of transportation.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 1996 AWD Front Driveshaft

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

For a short time and shorter distances you will be ok. Just remember that without the front shaft in, your an WILL roll downhill unless you use the parking brake. The viscous coupling will slip over time and that is why it rolls.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

So Dean, you're saying that the parking pawl wont lock the driveshaft as in two wheel drive? :-k
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

Ok I removed the front driveshaft and as I thought the thing is toast hehe. The van runs really smooth now in rwd mode, and I should have my replacement in 2 - 4 days.

And yes with the type transfer case I have, the one with the viscous coupling and the viscous liquid in it the car rolls very slowly down a hill of course depending how steep the hill, here in Cali pretty much everywhere :p but with out a front drive shaft the viscous coupling will slip a bit since it doesn't have enough preload just from the rear wheels. At least that's how it was explained to me :).

Once againt thanks for the awesome info guys.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Smiliesafari wrote:So Dean, you're saying that the parking pawl wont lock the driveshaft as in two wheel drive? :-k
That is correct. Seems weird but it doesn't lock.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Smiliesafari wrote:So Dean, you're saying that the parking pawl wont lock the driveshaft as in two wheel drive? :-k
On a 2WD the parking pawl locks the tranny which is directly connected to the drive shaft. If both the rear wheels are on the ground, the van will not be able to roll.

On 90 to 98 AWD van the tranny is connected to a transfer case and THEN the drive shafts. The 90-98 transfer case uses a viscous coupling to connect the front and rear drive shafts. It uses clutches and fluid to connect the two. This allows the front to turn at different speeds than the rear making steering easier on dry roads.

So, since the front and rear drive shafts are not mechanically connected, if one is disconnected the transfer case will turn against itself causing the van to roll. The same reason an automatic tranny needs a parking pawl.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks. Even at my age there's still a lot to learn. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

I'm reading all the posts with lots of interest. I've never had any of my AWD tranfer cases apart in all the ones I've owned. Hence I don't know whats inside !! My Safari is a 97 and if I'm to understand this correctly inside the case there is a "limited slip" clutch pack similar to the rear axle except turned front to back or is it like a "detroit locker" where it's all mechanical with overrunning ball bearings ? My question is if it's a clutch pack wouldn't engine torque break loose the clutch pack and burn out ?

Thanks,
Terry

Well, after searching the net I've answered all my questions....I have too much time on my hands !!