AWD oil pan clearance question

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

AWD oil pan clearance question

Post by rlsllc »

I'm swapping a 350 into an AWD. I'm planning to use the 5" welded pipe spacers on the subframe to lift the front, and I'm considering raising the drivetrain in the chassis (like spacing the engine, trans and transfer mount higher in the subframe) to make room for the oil pan to clear the front axle. I know this will effect the driveshafts, I will need to have new ones made to fit the NP241 anyway. This may even help the front one clear the crossmember, I'm not sure.

I'm actually hoping that it will help balance the distance between the body and drivetrain for linkages, shifter, wiring, etc.

Looking at the oil pan and the axle, it doesn't look like it would take more than 2-3" to make it clear, any AWD v8 swap guys care to comment?

I would love to hear opinions!

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: AWD oil pan clearance question

Post by rlsllc »

I researched this myself, and here are my findings:

This is just a pic of an AWD from the front.

This is taken looking forward with the camera in front of the sump, see how close the pan is to the axle, this is the left side of the pan.

Another angle of the same shot. The pan is about 1/2" from the axle, and the axle is only about 4" from the engine block. This pan has got to almost kiss the crank and mains.

This is a typical small block pan marked out for the obstructions.

Another shot.

The left side of the pan has a 45* slant to it to clear the pumpkin, The back of the axle is 15" from the back of the block, the pumpkin is 14" and the pan can only be about 3.5" deep by my measurements. I have a newer pan ordered (looked good on evilbay) and the section of pan from JTR to build one for the 99. I still plan to raise the motor on the 89 to clear the pan and exhaust. May or may not work. I'm going to talk to a friend that has a TIG welder about stretching an aluminum pan since they are plentiful. I don't know if it's possible or not. May use two to make one.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Wish I could help ya Roy but this is one area I don't have any personal experience, I do appreciate the pics tho :muhaha: maybe Lockdoc will see the thread, he's the only guy I can think of that lifted AND swapped in a v8

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Thanks man. I really think that the regular 350 pan could be modded and used, I'm just not that great with that kind of stuff. Cut, formed and welded back, it would fit and not hang so low: see the big dent in mine anyway.

The sump is a long way from the axle.

I'd love to hear Lockdoc's take on things, he's kind of the master like you said.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

PM Lock encase he is not online to this site often would be my suggestion.
It's good ridin' weather you know.... :guitar:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: AWD oil pan pick up tubes

Post by rlsllc »

I picked up (LOL) a pair of AWD oil pick up tubes, one is a Melling 210S, and it is a 5/8" that was used on 4.3s that had the deep 4x4 (AWD) steel oil pans on S10 and Astros. The other is a Melling 259S, it is 3/4", and was used on the same applications with an aluminum pan.

I think 1995 is the last year for the steel pan. I did read that most1995 and older Chevy engines use a 5/8" pick up, and 1996 and newer use the 3/4". I read it on the JTR site.

If anyone has proof or experience that what is listed here is incorrect, please let me know, because I am not 100% sure on this stuff.

I am trying to establish what will work on which years for V8 swaps on AWDs. I am also going to work on an adapter plate to use the stock 4.3 AWD motor mounts, and maybe a stock v8 oil pan by raising the engine and or modding the pan. Our engines are set back more than an S10, so the front diff and pan don't interfere in the same spot.

JTR is jacking me around on the pan extension, so that is my inspiration, well, that and just wanting to find an easier, cheaper way.

Anyone lifting their van could benefit from raising the engine and trans, although it hurts driveline angles a bit.

The 1999 is not getting a lift, and my wife still thinks I'm putting another 4.3 back in it, so I wish JTR would get it in gear or she's gonna wonder what the hold up is.

The pick ups are a little different, so it will be interesting to see if they interchange or not. They were around $13 each at Auto Zone.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

FYI, if you buy a Vortec V8, it will have one of these on it, and it will not fit inside the AWD oil pan.

I had a set of main cap bolt from a Mexican 4 bolt 1999 350, so I stole 3 of them for this motor and torqued them to 77'lbs. I'll use the other bolts and prolly the the tray on the other motor, whenever I get a crank for it and put it back together.

I'll update with a shot of the AWD pan when I get closer to putting it on. I'm real worried that it won't seal with the Felpro Perma-dry or whatever it is called gasket, and that's the only one I can find anywhere for a 1 piece seal motor. I really want one I can use sealant on since the pan has the bolt holes moved around and the flange is not right because of it.

What to do?