90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: The GHETTOBAGO

Post by Smiliesafari »

WOW........you've done a great job. I like everything you've done. The water container is great idea. I wish there was room in the "Smilie Van" for one of those. With all of the ballooning equipment there is hardly room for air. I have to take back what I said about the white letter tires. Since they are my all time favorite brand they pass the visual test. I'll admit I have T/A radials on my van and the white letters are out. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, your van is looking GREAT!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

That thing has turned out great! :supz: You've got vision and talent, my friend. As simple as all white with black is, I really like the color combo, especially the way you've done it. Do you agree that the white letters kinda add to it?

The floor plan looks like it will work well for your needs. It's unique. Most go with a version of the common Westy floor plan (Sportsmobile's RB50 plan). Looking at your pics has openned my eyes. If I can a swing a Baja trip, I was planning on using my guacho couch instead of the center seat, cause as much as I like my brother in law, I sure aint sharing the upper loft with him! I could go with a floor plan similar to yours; Place my guacho couch all the way forward, then maybe across the back of the van where your water is, I could stack all the way to the ceiling (secured of course) water, tool box, and fridge all on bottom row, then shelf with bedding, clothes duffles, and gear, and even a 3rd row of camping eqiupment in bins. Motorcycle gear in thule box on roof. The nice thing is, with a minimal amount of effort, it's easy enough to mock up a couple different ideas to see which feels most comfortable.

The placement of your wire shelving is simply brilliant. Keeps all your gear handy, yet totally out of the way, taking up absolutely no floor space.

Your interior and the fact that Aaron is designing a camping interior, along with all the other things ASV memebers have done, make me think we should have a sticky in the camping section for interior layouts.

What size BFG's did you go with?

Please add some pics of it loaded up for race weekend so we can see how you stow the gear, etc. Do you put your biking gear in the Thule box up top, or in a bin system or?

With dogs and an active lifestyle, I'm seeing a roof vent in your future. :D Nothing like the smell of biking gear in the morning.

Your van rocks, Kevin. Well done. :cheers:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Wow, great job on the van Kevin. Man, I've been missing a lot! You gave me some great ideas. I also like TLow's idea of a Camping Section sticky with these types of mods. They'll get lost in the shuffle for future reference if they aren't put somewhere safe [-o<
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Post by rubberdown »

Thanks fellas. And T.Low, they are 30x9.5's, caught a smoking deal on them too! I am pleased with the white out I have to say! The wire shelving is going to turn into a cabinet soon enough since I have spare wood & carpet around, still works for now. As far as stinky gear, that goes into (along with several other bits of gear) a water tight north face expedition bag that goes into the rear roof basket. The cartop carries clothes, tents if we bring them, camp chairs, kites, chainsaw (beach bonfires) & all of our camp food/kitchen gear.

And you are spot on with the roof vent, however I have too much crap up there to block it! I am researching some sort of side vents, but we always keep one of the side windows cracked for the mutts anyway (and air freshner canisters)

I'll post some "loaded" pics when we head out on the big adventure, bike & gear are going with so she'll be fully loaded!

And guys, thanks seriously for the nice words. I have been geeking out on this way too much & most other people just don't get it!

:cheers:

A few more of "full camp" kind of. Didn't factor in the lift when I put the little fold out table in the back, it's at my chin height now! (duh!) Just gonna flip it over so it's bumper height!

---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

Topic author
rubberdown

Post by rubberdown »

9dawgs wrote:Wow, great job on the van Kevin. Man, I've been missing a lot! You gave me some great ideas. I also like TLow's idea of a Camping Section sticky with these types of mods. They'll get lost in the shuffle for future reference if they aren't put somewhere safe [-o<
Yeah, I would seriously vote for a sticky to see other mods as well. One idea always leads to a better in my opinion!

Oh and on a side note, she's getting new plates: SHURPA (proper spelling was already taken!)

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Hey Rubberdown, how long is that bed/couch combo thingy? That looks awesome and functional as well. Even has storage underneath! You and your gal look tall so I'm thinking it's a lot longer than it looks. I normally load my van with rubbermade totes with all my gear but leave in the backseat. I have a SportZ tent that attaches to the back of the van for my 2 little ones to sleep in but me and mamma sleep in the van. I remove the backseat to the tent for a couch. I use a Coleman queensize air matress and it takes up most of the back of the van. Let me know the dimensions. I may have to go that route =P~
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
rubberdown

Post by rubberdown »

I will take some exacts for you today. I can say that I am just at 6 ft, and layed out on the beds my feet hang over the edge just at the ankle, so the matress' themselves I'd say are about 5'10". I had the same thoughts about being able to stow stuff beneath the matress', however with the thickness of pads (about 5" total thickness, 2 different pads glued together) I actually had to remove the factory carpet & padding just to get them to settle all the way in. I didn't want to build the frame any taller as that would take away from the headroom, which jen needs to change! If you went with thinner matress padding you could fit maybe a few blankets or other thin gear beneath them, but they really do occupy the whole hole :muhaha: My main goal was to make the carpeted side completely flush & make the center seem match perfect.

We keep heavy moving blankets for the dogs to sleep on, and intend to stow them beneath there. And now since I discovered I had inadvertently built a couch as well, I am going to finish off the flooring beneath them with thin black neoprene to deaden the sound and give comfy footing while in couch mode, right now its metal floorpan & duct tape covering the seat latch wells.

But again, I will get some exact specs today & post them tonight.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Looks great lifted, some nice mods that look well done =D>

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Excellent work! Lift looks great, how much trimming did you have with that size tire? I agree with the others on your interior mods also! I need to get to work on my interior plans!
Thanks for sharing! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
rubberdown

Post by rubberdown »

I ended up having to shave about 2" on the corners.. which I didn't think I was going to have to do with 30 x 9.5's... had I known I was going to have to trim I'd have gone full 31's!!

9Dawg, got a little tied up at the alignment shop today then raced home to wire the lights up, will get the sizing in the next day or so!

unrreal

Post by unrreal »

rocking build :supz: :supz: im jealous now, i need to finish some exterior mods first and then move inside..
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

rubberdown wrote:9Dawg, got a little tied up at the alignment shop today then raced home to wire the lights up, will get the sizing in the next day or so!
No problem. I'm not in a rush :>) I reeeally like the way your van looks! Black and White always look good together. It's giving me some ideas about the white '98 below... I especially like those bumper mounted lights! Where ever did you get that idea??? \:D/
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
rubberdown

Post by rubberdown »

9dawgs wrote:
rubberdown wrote:9Dawg, got a little tied up at the alignment shop today then raced home to wire the lights up, will get the sizing in the next day or so!
No problem. I'm not in a rush :>) I reeeally like the way your van looks! Black and White always look good together. It's giving me some ideas about the white '98 below... I especially like those bumper mounted lights! Where ever did you get that idea??? \:D/
Thanks thanks, and you're right, I need to give credit where credit is due... Bill Myers gave me the idea for the bumper lights! :D http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_BMeyers.html

(although seeing yours was the nail in the coffin, plus it only cost me the lights, no mounting hardware! ghetto = cheap!)

Finally got her dirty today too, nothing too extreme as I just wanted to loosen any bolts so I can torque em' down again tomorrow. My god it drove well. Great articulation, my bud behind me said he thought maybe something was broken it flexed so well. Very happy with the lift so far.

Let me ask too fellas, I have never done a brand new kit before, do the creeks settle after some time? I am looking at undercoating things (lightly) to deaden the sound up a bit.