My boring white lifted camper

Topic author
Rotor
I am merely driving my van

My boring white lifted camper

Post by Rotor »

I thought I would share some pictures of my Astro camper I have been working on. The van is lifted with a 3.5" - 4" homemade lift. I'm also running Treadwright 225/75R16 PUMA A/T (E) (for the price you cant beat them).
I took the factory seats out and put in a conversion van base in between the 2nd and 3rd row location. I then added the Astro bench to it.
The conversion van base happened to be power so I had to add a switch
I then made a rear bed platform
Then I completely disassembled the other factory bench and scavenged the cloth to make the rear bed pad. My main goal was to make this look like something the factory would have done.. my sewing skills are not the greatest.
I still have a few things that I need to complete, like curtains and a cover for the hinges on the back of the bench seat.
Hope you enjoy.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: My boring white lifted camper

Post by mdmead »

Boring on the outside... well, maybe.

But pretty freakin' nifty on the inside. Love your bed set up!

I've got a conversion seat/bed in the back of my van and when it folds down, it matches up perfectly with a big plastic storage box I've got in the back. Your way is softer(!) and longer though.

Very cool!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Nice job on the interior, the lift is looking good as well :supz:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looks great so far. Thanks for posting. :cheers:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Looks great Rotor......yah, I think you need to brush up on your sewing skills however. (nice work) =D>

I see you made an adjustment on the deck supports also.I have a similar setup for my work and use a couple of morter tubs to hold tools. They are light weight and work as well as any drawer setup.

I am glad I have the gray cladding on my 'plain white van' \:D/
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Looks fantastic!! The sewing on my factory seats is bad enough that your sewing looks plenty "stock" to me.

How long is your bed overall? I'm just about to start drilling the holes for my conversion bed but I'm going back and forth on final bed length vs. cargo room, etc. I'm 5'6", so I figure ~72" will be comfortable. To much less and I'd have to start sleeping "bent".
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
Rotor

Post by Rotor »

Herbie wrote:Looks fantastic!! The sewing on my factory seats is bad enough that your sewing looks plenty "stock" to me.

How long is your bed overall? I'm just about to start drilling the holes for my conversion bed but I'm going back and forth on final bed length vs. cargo room, etc. I'm 5'6", so I figure ~72" will be comfortable. To much less and I'd have to start sleeping "bent".
The bed length is about 74" and there is plenty of room for 2 adults and 1 11month old. I am also 6'2", so 72" for you should be more then enough room.

these conversion van seats bases seem to all line up over the uni-body frame if you keep it centered. Hopefully yours is narrower since it came out of a mini van, because that was a real headache.

We actually took it out camping last weekend over night to Ocean City camp ground up here in Washington and it worked out great. The bed is a lot more comfortable then I expected, although the wife wants at least a 1"-2" memory foam topper to go with it. Keeping the family comfortable seems to make these trips a LOT better!

I still need to get some things done, as we are taking it out again this weekend for a 4 night trip.

Keep us posted on your progress Herbie!

Topic author
Rotor

Post by Rotor »

dunedog wrote: I have a similar setup for my work and use a couple of morter tubs to hold tools. They are light weight and work as well as any drawer setup.
That's actually a great idea! Ill have to pick up a few before the weekend.

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

hey that van doesnt look so boring to me! nice ride.

mine came with curtains (Explorer conversion) but I removed them all except the rears and now I use that chrome bubble wrap insulation cut to fit the windows so I just remove them and roll them up when not in use. found at Lowes home improvement. they really keep the heat down but thats probably not nearly as bad in a white van.

I also cut out one for the windshield thats a perfect fit.

I really like the crisp, clean look yours has. nice handy work!

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

not that boring, looks good... (but, maybe some black ghost flames or some custom striping might help....) one question, how did you get it set up with 6 lugs... using blazer axles.....??? I like the look, and it has to give you a few different options as far as wheels go =D> ....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Moreforles wrote:one question, how did you get it set up with 6 lugs... using blazer axles.....??? I like the look, and it has to give you a few different options as far as wheels go =D> ....
It is stock. In the 2003 - 2005 vans the factory equipped them with 6 lug axles and disc brakes on all 4 corners. Other than that they are the same as the 1996 - 2002's basically.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Rotor wrote: these conversion van seats bases seem to all line up over the uni-body frame if you keep it centered. Hopefully yours is narrower since it came out of a mini van, because that was a real headache.
Well, you called it. On my first pass of the measurements, I thought I was in good shape, but when I went to drill holes yesterday (small pilot hole, thankfully), it seems I'm right on top of the uni-frame channels too.

How did you solve the problem?

I'm thinking of using a couple of pieces of 2" x 3/16" angle-iron, the length of the mounting base, and bolting them on to the mounting foot with a mess of bolts to basically create a "flipped" base plate that puts the mounting holes to the inside instead of the outside. This would move the holes over by like 3 inches and should clear the rails...
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
Rotor

Post by Rotor »

I Decided to use the holes I drilled into the frame area and fish bolts with washers threw the uni- frame(lots of access holes). I welded them from the top, like the front seat mounting. My thought was this was probably the strongest part of the floor. I believe Gabe's solution was similar to what you are talking about.

Hope that helps.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Rotor wrote:I Decided to use the holes I drilled into the frame area and fish bolts with washers threw the uni- frame(lots of access holes). I welded them from the top, like the front seat mounting. My thought was this was probably the strongest part of the floor. I believe Gabe's solution was similar to what you are talking about.

Hope that helps.
Wow, really? I can see why you said "real headache". Did you just drill the holes from above, then push the bolts into the tubes and pull 'em up with a magnet, or what?

Looking more at my "adapter" solution, I'm not sure if its much better. The fore/aft location where I want to put my bench is rearward enough that there's the reflective shield over the exhaust, etc., so even if I do move the holes inboard, I'd probably have to drop a bunch of stuff just to be able to fit the backing plates on without pinching the shield...

Ugh. I need to get this thing up on a lift again, that would be easier.

Topic author
Rotor

Post by Rotor »

Herbie wrote: Wow, really? I can see why you said "real headache". Did you just drill the holes from above, then push the bolts into the tubes and pull 'em up with a magnet, or what?

I Marked out my seat location and drilled from above. Then used long magnets to get the bolts up to the holes.
Herbie wrote: Looking more at my "adapter" solution, I'm not sure if its much better. The fore/aft location where I want to put my bench is rearward enough that there's the reflective shield over the exhaust, etc., so even if I do move the holes inboard, I'd probably have to drop a bunch of stuff just to be able to fit the backing plates on without pinching the shield...
I ran into the same thing with the heat shield. My thinking was that it would probably be better to go outboard then inboard.

But now after the first camping season I decided that I want to add cabinets for cloth storage and such. I will need to move my seat over about 5" or 6". That would have made things A lot easier during the 2 weeks we spent in Yosemite.