Air springs or Timbrens??

Topic author
astronewbie
I am merely driving my van

Air springs or Timbrens??

Post by astronewbie »

I will be towing a 4000# 23' travel trailer a few times a year. Is one system better than the other?
The rest of the time the van is a dailey driver.
2002 Astro AWD LT
- 95,000 miles
- Tow pkg
- Aux trans cooler

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Air springs or Timbrens??

Post by astroturf »

I like the Timbrens myself. Once and done. Towing a 4000 lb trailer you might want the 6000 lb Timbrens.

Just my two cents. Jim

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

It sounds like you are doing exactly what I do with my van. I tow a 24 foot 4500lbs travel trailer. I installed a set of AIRLIFT bags in the back and love them. When I am daily driving the van I run between 10-20 psi and you don't even know the bags are there the ride is nice just like stock it just picks up the back end a little since the van was a bum dragger when I got it. When I put the trailer on I run about 80psi-90psi. The van runs nice and level and still has a good ride not harsh and bumpy. I got my system with the on board air compressor and gauge mounted by the centre console under the dash so I can pump the bags up and down while I am driving. It sounds dumb but it is very handy not to have to stop and find a gas station or bike pump to adjust the bags.

I would highly recomend the bag option. They can be installed in about 4-6 hours for your first time doing something like that. They went in easy and work very well.

The bags that I installed will hold 100psi and take 2000lbs load. Now keep in mind it doesn't increase the amount of weight the van can or should hold it just makes it ride nice and level and takes the wallow out of the cornering when you have a load or if you are running empty.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
astronewbie

Post by astronewbie »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably go with the air springs. I like the idea of having some control over the stiffness of the suspension.

Now the fun part. I have to order then install them.
2002 Astro AWD LT
- 95,000 miles
- Tow pkg
- Aux trans cooler

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I use adjustable air-shox, they work great for me.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc