I'm back! New astro pickup tomorrow

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I'm back! New astro pickup tomorrow

Post by meetthespeakers »

Well guys, I sold big blue a little over a year ago to downsize vehicles, I no longer needed it, bought a 2004 Blazer Xtreme... But I am now finally going to be moving and I am buying another fixer upper house and could use the hauling capacity again. I am so excited, I have been really missing owning an Astro and I am going to be picking one up tomorrow. Leaving at 4am to drive down to North Carolina to pick it up. I sold the Blazer for as much as I bought it a year ago, and it will leave me with about $1500 to spend on the van. Anyway here are my projects now:

My 2004 Blazer Xtreme I sold, cleaned up real nice.
New 2000 Astro RWD, custom 2 tone paint, Harley Davidson theme, 17x8 C5 Coys
My 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, Right hand drive
My 1980 Austin Mini, I converted to a Acura Integra B18c1 GSR drivetrain
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: I'm back! New astro pickup tomorrow

You can see more photos and the build the guy did here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/meetthespeakers/2000Astro#

I will be selling the 17x8 C5 Coys if anyone is interested. Guy just put them on with new tires, comes with 5 complete wheels. I just am not a chrome guy, I will be putting 18x8 Boss 338 Wheels like I had on my Blazer. Anyway, the funny thing is the van will match my Orange Clubman pretty well. Other than that I am looking forward to finally having a garage to work in! I have been working in a carport for 4 years restoring 4 Minis, and building bikes, etc. Winter months sucked! Let me know what you guys think. :cheers:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

That's a good lookin' van!

Wow, that Clubman Estate is HUGE... (relatively speaking of course!) :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Thanks! I have been working on the Clubman for a little over a year now, and it was 95% complete. I rebuilt the motor/gearbox back in the spring. However the 1980 Mini I have been working on now for 3 months and completed the engine swap, and after enjoying that for a month, I now want to pull out the motor in the Clubman and put a Honda D16 motor in it for a little more pep. I am hopefully going to start on that this winter... hopefully. I also have a buddy's 84 mini I will be doing the same swap to. So we will see.

As fas as the van it's been lowered 2" in the front, 3" in the rear, and it also has air shocks in the rear. The hood is a grafted 2006 GTO hood scoops. Stenciled logos, smoked headlights/taillights. A nice stereo is in there, but other than that the interior remains fairly stock. My plans are to swap the wheels for some 18x8 Black with polished lip Boss 338 rims. Convert the headlights to HID's which I took of my Blazer before I sold that. Other than that, remove the cheesy foglights, and hopefully call it a day. Just need to make sure it's setup for towing, so I ordered a Tru-cool LPD 4490 Tranny cooler. Hopefully put that on soon.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Yeah,I saw that van listed on ebay while surfing.Good to see a member bought it to return it to the family of Astro's.Really nice looking van.Congrats.

Just curious,what is a Cooper's wt??.I wouldn't think it takes much of a engine to turn it into a monster. The right hand drive huh.Well now you need to pick up a mail route or newspaper route.LOL.

Anyways,welcome back.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

The Estate weighs in around 1500lbs, and the Mini coupe weighs in around 1400lbs with the swap. Now with 180+hp from the B18c1, it gets around 35-40 Mpg (When your not ragging on it), and does 0-60 in the mid 4's and 1/4 in the mid 12's. It is brutally fast. The Estate I had a 1300 Metro engine from the UK in it, but swapped it for a cheapy 998 motor, makes about 42hp or so, and does 0-60 in about 19 seconds or so... extremely slow, but gets me around to car shows. It does however get 45-50mpg. The D16 swap is great, 130hp, lighter than the B series (70lbs lighter), cheaper, and a little smaller so it fits better. Anyway, I am a big Mini enthusiast to say the least. I will be selling the black Mini hopefully this fall when I complete it. Currently it is at the painter's getting painted Audi R8 Daytona Gray with Pearl.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

here's what I think :prayer: :prayer:
welcome back btw...
I had no idea you had all that going on behind the scenes. I'm sure you posted about it sometime in the past but I never picked up on it. I am duly impressed. And, that is one badass van. I wish I had the money to buy the wheels off ya, but alas I don't.
and, it'd be lipstick on a pig in the case of my van. Yikes, someone might steal it just for wheels :yikes:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I am glad to be back, I do have a lot of projects going on. The first 6 months of this year was horrible, but it looks like the rest of the year is turning around. Going to hopefully be moving in the next month or so, and getting a new job. I am planning on building a Lemons Race car for next year as well over the winter. We will see how the wife tolerates all my projects. Lol.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Wow, that is one nice looking van. I'd love to do something like that to my wifes van. Are the wheels & tires the same on all 4 wheels? If so what size/type of tire were you running?
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

how are you really missing owning an astro? dont you currently own a 2000 astro?
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

patgizz
I get chills without my van.

Post by patgizz »

cool stuff. there are a bunch of guys on forum at grassrootsmotorsports.com who would LOVE to hear about your minis. i'd love to see more of the swapped one.
previous: 1985 cargo, 1995 cargo, 1996 SAS 4x4

current: 1998 cargo with LS cladding and wheels