All-terrain tires

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: All-terrain tires

Post by MountainManJoe »

I couldn't find anything called Pathfinder on www.kellytires.com.
Do you mean these? http://www.pathfindertires.com/pathfinderAT.php

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

Than you again for the information. I did not know about the ply info. What kind of mileage are you hoping for with your new tires?

timelessbeing wrote:The tire plies are stamped right on the sidewall above the words "all-terrain". You can sort of see it in the picture on page 1. I think it says 3 polyester layers, 2 nylon and 2 steel belts. Tires used to rated in be plies, but with modern construction techniques, I don't think that has significance anymore, and it's just kinda used for marketing.

It's practically impossible to find information that matters, like how thick the layers are, or how they've been bonded or permeated, the type of rubber compound etc. Even then I think the information would just give false impressions.

The UTQG rating system is baloney because there is no real standard.

There are only two standards that manufacturers are required to meet and report to you, and those are load and speed. LT all-terrain tires in your size are all 104 Q, R or S. That works out to 900kg and 160, 170 and 180 km/h respectively. This is so you can easily tell how much you can load at the max pressure and how fast you can go with it before they fail from stress and overheating.

There are loose standards for meeting the severe snow requirement, and they are easily fudged. Mud+snow rated probably means some guy takes a look at the tire and goes, "Hmm... you can probably drive in mud and snow with these".

What concerns ME, is does the tire meets my needs (that includes budget), and the only way to know that is through real world testing. Either 1st hand, or objective testimony from someone else, and even then it's hard to do that in controlled conditions. I drive very differently from the next guy.

BFG AT's are a decent tire. They're quiet and excellent in the snow. I mainly just didn't like how easily they wear. Plus if you get them from Costco, the road hazard guarantee is nice.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

timelessbeing wrote:I couldn't find anything called Pathfinder on http://www.kellytires.com.
Do you mean these? http://www.pathfindertires.com/pathfinderAT.php

Yeah, those are the ones. My buddy that works at Discount really likes them and said they are made by kelly Springfield for Discount; I keep calling them the wrong name.

Although Discount told me not to worry, I'm a little leary of the nylon sidewalls for some of the off pavement trips we do where I've seen guys get sidewall cuts from the sharp lava rock found on the east side of Wa, but so far so good.

I do have a set of Goodyear MT also, already mounted up on the same type of rim, that I put on for the more gnarly terrain trips. But like I said in another thread, I've done Fortune Creek trail once with the Pathfinders AT's and once with the Goodyear MT's and had absolutely no slipage with either. It's rated an easy 4x4 trail, but has some lose semi steep climbs to it. I'll try to get video next summer.

The only time it seemed less than confident was in the gumbo mud of Owyhee, but the BFG AT guys were squirrely and complaining too. But that's kinda the definition of gumbo; you can't clear it out of your treads.Image
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Meterpig wrote:What kind of mileage are you hoping for with your new tires?
Good question. I've never used up a set of tires all the way before
60,000km (37,300mi) would be nice.
T.Low wrote:I'm a little leary of the nylon sidewalls for some of the off pavement trips we do where I've seen guys get sidewall cuts from the sharp lava rock found on the east side of Wa.
I thought nylon was good. It's what rip-resistant tents and outerwear are made of. What are the alternatives?

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

Well, I have the Dunlop rovers right now-came with the van. We will see how long they last.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

timelessbeing wrote:Ok, so I have a new experience to add with my new tires, not even 15 mins ago.

I was driving home, which is on top of a hill. Conditions quickly changes to sub-zero (freezing for ya yanks), and I took a corner... Bad news: the road was glazed and the tires let go and I jumped a curb. Good news: The tire withstood the impact! ... bad news: the rim bent a little bit. ](*,)

From my experience, I am convinced a BFG A/T would not have survived that. I'm so glad I don't have to replace a new tire. Whew!

I was an idiot and going too fast (not surprising #-o ) and got to test your theory out my BFG A/T held up no damage
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's a relief, eh.

I think I was lucky because I didn't hit the curb straight on. I hit at an angle so the tire just flexed out of the way, and the rim made direct contact with the concrete. Good for the tire. Bad for the rim. At least it didn't crack.

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

I pulled up this old thread because now the "new" Dunlop Rovers are essentially rotting in the tread. The manufacture date is March 2010. I didn't buy the tires new-the PO did. The reviews on them are marginal and I don't want new ones even if the dealer gave me four spiffy new tires.

So, I love the Michelin LTX but lo and behold getting my hands on them has proven elusive at any reasonable price point. Also, I am a super huge fan of Costco and the tire warranty and they say Michelin has either (a)discontinued the tire or (b) has dropped the size to focus on winter tires. So, they can't get them.

Discount tire, which isn't so really discount, found me a set of 225/70/15's if I willing to pay a)$11 shipping per tire b)$16 installation and c)$17.50 each for warranty. The shipping part really bugged me. Do they charge all customers for shipping on every tire? I know that is rhetorical and full truck shipping is cheaper than fedex...but still...it really pissed me off when they also wanted installation. Seriously? So, I just left.

I went back to Costco today (Saturday) and told them to order up a set of BFG's. He quotes me the price, looks in the computer, dials the phone to some mystery warehouse and then tells me "can't get them". I say "what do you mean? They aren't made?" He says "well, the automated system doesn't check every warehouse...I Can call back on Monday to talk to a human who can check". Fine...so...back on Monday.

Oh, I stopped being a fan of the LTX after learning the max PSI is 35. Lame. I recall when having these tires in the past, heavy loads were interesting. I have been known to load a lot in the cargo area and like being able to air up to 44 psi.

So, there you go. The BFG's look to be the ticket here. If I can get them through Costco.

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

I have them now-they rock. 2mpg better per gallon.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Pix, Specs, Price???

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

So far, I have put 17,000 km on my Cooper Discoverer S/T tires.

I took my van out camping for the long weekend. I drove on rough logging roads, soft sand, and a bit of mud. The tires performed admirably and I never broke traction. Even when I stumbled upon some kids who parked their truck in a tree. :rolleyes: I hooked on my recovery strap and had them back on the road in about 5 minutes. I inspected the tires when I got back home: No chunking, but there were a few pebbles still stuck in the tread. Not a lot, but I would expect them to clear on the highway. So far, they are wearing very evenly, and I don't see any cuts, tears, gouges or otherwise.

On a side note, I did almost get stuck when trying to turn around on a narrow logging road. The shoulder was soft and I sunk my left front wheel a bit (not even up to the rim) and at first I couldn't reverse out. There was no wheel spin whatsoever; It just wouldn't budge, even at full throttle. Gah! So I rocked it a couple times and got out, but geez ... seriously need more torque. ](*,)

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

timelessbeing wrote:
Meterpig wrote:What kind of mileage are you hoping for with your new tires?
Good question. I've never used up a set of tires all the way before
60,000km (37,300mi) would be nice.
T.Low wrote:I'm a little leary of the nylon sidewalls for some of the off pavement trips we do where I've seen guys get sidewall cuts from the sharp lava rock found on the east side of Wa.
I thought nylon was good. It's what rip-resistant tents and outerwear are made of. What are the alternatives?

My MT's have Kevlar sidewalls, which is preferrable for the sharp lava rock found in eastern wa. Although, I have done many trips over there with the AT's and have not had any problems.

MPig: you got 2mpg more with BFG AT's ?
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Here's a shot from my trip of the Elaho river in Squamish. It's pretty high right now. Would you paddle that, T.Low?
Attachments
elaho.JPG

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I did the Elaho about 14 years ago when i first moved here (along with the Thompson, and still do the Chehalis when i can).

The flow level was around 4,000 cubic feet sec, whereas the Thompson was 20,000 cfs. All of them are beutiful canyon runs, wich is quite a committment.

None of them are overly technical, just bigger pushy fluffy class III for the most part (class IV at when they are flowing with more volume like in your photo. It's a little disconcerning when the tounge (smooth water leading down the center of the rapid) is white instead of green, and not being able to see what's below it, but I remmber there being no "keepers" to worry about, so i'm good with big foam piles and love big wave trains.

RIght now, I'm actually in the best physical condition I've been since the summer of 2002, but I am not paddling white water because I have a nerve problem with my right hand that really gets week and non responsive when it's cold and wet. (After enduro riding in the cold rain for 3 hours, I could not grasp my car key and turn on the ignition in the van. Have another doctors appointment next week.)

I'm spending most of my free time on my mountain bikes. I ballooned up to 240 lbs at New Years (5'11", 47 yrs old,) and the last straw was not fitting into my $1,000 GoreTex Drysuit anymore, so now I proceeded to lose 55 lbs and I have been at 185 all summer and riding great, and life is grand again.

Whistler is totally awesome because of all the downhill mtn biking, the cross country mtn biking, the Elaho, the enduro riding, and the village at night. My buddy is a school teacher and he spends a month at Whistler every summer.

Sorry bout the thread hijack... :partyman:
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hijack away. The river rose almost half a meter during the weekend. There was river booty floating past our campsite. Full beers, wine bottles, snacks etc :muhaha: I saw some very hairy sections. I wish I had gotten better photos but it was behind trees and we were in a hurry. Big holes and rocks in fast, narrow sections. Class V without a doubt. I've always wanted to learn to kayak ever since I guided rafts on the Chilliwack.