Solid Axle Swap and 4x4 conversion of 1996 LS 2WD

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Solid Axle Swap and 4x4 conversion of 1996 LS 2WD

Post by MountainManJoe »

patgizz wrote: i also borrowed a reamer and made the proper tapered hole in my stock pitman arm and a new straight steering arm, and picked up a new drag link assembly.
This could be the missing puzzle piece to making the Overland re-indexed torsion keys work properly.

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

Post by patgizz »

Herbie wrote:What vehicle did the 14-bolt come from?

I want a selectable locker, so I've been scheming on what application I can steal a rear assembly from. Did it fit more or less or did you have to shorten/lengthen to make up for the passenger-side offset?
mine is from a 79 k20 pickup, no offset. with my lift there is no driveshaft to gas tank interference and theoretically if i keep the trans output and axle input in parallel planes, like you do when setting pinion angle, i should be good to go without vibrations. i know other guys who have done the same, with offset drivetrains on a centered rear yoke so i dont see why it will not work.

the width of the axle is pretty spot on to the astro, just welded on new perches.

i'll get pics of the steering arm stuff when i can get the old garbage off and new stuff installed. have to order new studs, cone washers, and fill my torch tanks.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

:poke: Hey what happened to the pics?

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

Post by patgizz »

sorry for the lack of pics.

unfortunately i needed cash fast(at this point i don't even remember why) and turned in 3 vehicles for scrap, all of which made me sad. one was my 94 caprice police package station wagon, one was my 76 c30 dually, and one was the 4x4 astro project.

either way i miss the van. i stripped what i could in the day i had and let it go, mounted engine/trans/axle/transfer case and all. the next day when i took the wagon in the van was all torn to shreds and my custom front subframe was up on the pile belly up with all my fab work mangled. it made me very depressed to see that as i had over 40 hours into just that part.

all i did to the piman arm was drill out the taper to the large 5/8" size used on the 4x4 truck parts i was using.

i still have the linkages and stuff. i had it running and actually put it in gear and moved it with the front driveshaft in place. but when life gets in the way you have to make sacrifices. now i'm stuck paying off a 94 4x4 suburban with rust holes in the frame.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That stinks! But you are right, sometimes life has you make some tough choices at times. After I sold the SPB I wished I could have afforded to keep it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy