may I ask a favor?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

may I ask a favor?

Post by markmitchinnh »

I just replaced the rear axle in my 94 safari, now when I give it gas it seems to rumble possibly the pinion angle is off so if someone could do me a favor and measure from the flat ground to the nose of the center section where the drive shaft bolts on. then I could use this info to put mine in the same area. Thank you in advance, Mark
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: may I ask a favor?

Post by Rebel »

measure angle drop on tranny,,match rear just the opposite. In other words,,if the tranny has a 3* drop,,make the rear have 3* pointing up.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Rebel wrote:measure angle drop on tranny,,match rear just the opposite. In other words,,if the tranny has a 3* drop,,make the rear have 3* pointing up.
Check out his other thread Larry.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I'm not sure I understand what Larry is trying to convey, but if you take a three foot long transmission and position it with a 3" drop from one end to the other and take a 1 1/2 foot long rearend centre section and position it with a 3" drop from one end to the other you will end up with two very different angles.
Buy, rent or make a pinion angle gauge, it's a pretty simple tool.
You could try unbolting the driveshaft, give it a half a turn bolt it back up and see if the vibration is gone.

Peter

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Tranny,,3* pointing down,,,rear 3* pointing up. Of course the tranny may be different than 3* down,,in that case match * to the rear but pointing up, not down like tranny.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words