Show me a lifted van WITHOUT the bumper relocation brackets

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Show me a lifted van WITHOUT the bumper relocation brackets

Post by OKflyboy »

I'm getting ready to order my stuff from OLV to lift my van 2". I'm still on somewhat of a budget, so I'm looking at ways to cut cost without sacrificing quality. I understand now that the bumper relocation brackets are not necessary, but there will be a gap between the bumper and the grill (think I got that right). Like the title says, I'm wondering if anyone can provide a picture of what a lifted van without the bumper brackets, with the gap looks like.

Thanks in advance!

Ara

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Show me a lifted van WITHOUT the bumper relocation brack

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Here's a front shot. It doesn't look that bad with the bumper fascia removed, but it would look real nasty with it on and a 2" gap between it and the body fender flare.

I got by without the brackets at first but then I really hated the look of the incomplete fender flare. I also thought I could fab up my own brackets. But once I considered the amount of work that would go into that the $100 and change for the brackets seem well worth it. Overland's bracket is hardcore, you won't be disappointed at all. Get by without it for now, but you will want it soon after.

Good luck with your lift! :cheers:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

And it looks like this with the bracket installed. There is still about a 3/4" gap, but your bumper fascia curls upward a bit and takes up that space.

Sorry I don't have a shot with the brackets installed and the bumper fascia on. I installed the brackets and my brush guard at the same time. Here is a photo that shows the bracket installed, just mentally remove the guard bracket bolted to the front of it.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you access to a welder and some scrap pieces of angle iron, fab your own brackets. A couple hours work is worth it to me...I modified the stock ones on the SPB and Lockdoc's 93 4x4. We had to make Bill's 4.25" taller than stock.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

I don't have a welder, but for the price of the bumper relocation kit, I suppose I could buy a Harbor Freight special...

Thanks guys!

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Someone or everyone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with a 2" lift you can get away with placing the bottom hole of the bracket in the top hole and get the required relocation you are looking for.
Just don't hit alot of stuff with the bumper...
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yes Jim, that is correct on the 95+ with the new front end. I am not sure on the 94 and down bumper brackets.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Paint can do a lot to reduce that "something isn't right" look :-$
Before&after

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Agreed. That looks good. You could even mount some lights on there and nobody would ever think twice about it. Not having the bumper cover on is ideal if you plan to do some real offroading too. I liked being able to see all the rubber on the tires, made it look like it was lifted much higher and had more ground clearance even though the front cross member still hangs down. I was bent on having the brush guard and it looked lame without the cover in that respect, as seen in the photo. I drove my van without the cover for almost a year and nobody ever told me it looked bad without it. Fact of the matter is, when these vans are lifted they just look awesome!

BTW....I took over 1,000 photos during my van mods. I feel a bit like a photo whore posting all these up. I just want to show people options. If it's annoying feel free to let me know. Thanks.

:cheers:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

"Photo Whore"...........not hardly. Your Astrosafarian brothers love the pics. Thanks for posting. BTW other than the missing wheel arch that's a nice looking van.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Great A'Tuin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Great A'Tuin »

I have a 2" lift on mine and like dunedog said, you can use the lower bracket hole moved up to the top frame hole. I used some 1.5" long x 1" wide steel bar stock welded to the bumper bracket, then drilled for the lower bracket hole. I also had to oblong the holes in the bumper itself just a bit for final fit.
It was easy and only took a couple of hours...

john
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.