Astro/Safari computer & trans questions

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Astro/Safari computer & trans questions

Post by markmitchinnh »

I have an older computer that came from my 92 Astro and the chip is custom burnt. That van was totaled and now I have both an 89 and a 94. my original plans were to build the 89 cargo but now I am thinking of building the more complete and optioned 94. The 94 has A/C tilt, cruise, power windows, door locks, and mirrors, dark tinted windows & seating for 8.
Whereas the 89 is a cargo with no extras. So my questions: will the older computer work in the 94 and can i use the 700R4
that is all rebuilt with shift kit in the 94? The wiring schematics appear to be different but I also have the complete wiring harness from both the 92 and the the 94 ( I am driving the 94). Thank you for any help on this project.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Astro/Safari computer & trans questions

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I think its safe to say that you can not change the computers if: the vans have different fuel systems.

You'll need to run the same type of fuel system the original 92 computer had. either VIN Z or VIN W.
For example, if you 92 is a VIN Z TBI injected motor, and your 94 is a VIN W multiport injection system its not gonna work.
If they are both VIN Z, well maybe. Chances are defiantly better at least. I believe the chip should stay in the box it was burnt for, no matter what van that box goes into.
Dont pull the chip from wher it was, and pop it into the 94 computer.
I believe 92 700R4 were just controlled by a cable, but I could be wrong. 94 might be more computer controlled.
Not my strong point, automatics. I like my 5 speeds.

That being said, if the 89 is rust free and straight, I would prefer it as a candidate for fixing up a bunch. I like the pre 90 vans best for lottsa reasons.
but the 94 engine block has better heads,and if its a VIN W it has a better cam, crank rods and pistons too!

I just put a 95 VIN W engine, into an 87 van with the 87 fuel system on top, and it has a lot better performance than the 87 engine did.
My 2 cents? The pre 90 vans have a simpler cleaner less cluttered layout under the hood, a place to hang a clutch pedal, and a nicer dash, The heater controls work with push/pull cables instead of vacuum lines, and the insurance is cheaper.

You could easily install the tilt & cruise into your 89 also, but I hate AC & power windows, So I wouldn't use those if I had a choice.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

The 94 is TBI I have no idea about the trans but the 89 is basically stropped as I was going to use all the interior from the 94.
The 94 also has 251, thousand miles on it so the trans is very tired. Thank you , Mark
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The 94's trans is definitely computer controlled whereas the 89's is not.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

OK I opened my Haynes manual and took a look at the schematics for the 94 and the 92 (I have the wiring harness from the 92) the 94 is much more complex then the 92 so either I build the 89 with the best of all the parts or I swap the wiring harness from the 92 into the 94, do away with the airbag steering column and just go with it, now the only problem I forsee
is the legality of this. Is it illegal to remove the airbag steering column? See the 89 is a mutt and has no brackets for the rear
seats but other then that I can finish the bodywork install all the extras and interior from the 94. Can I just cut the seat pockets out of the 94 and weld them into the floor of the 89? Never done this before has anyone here ever done it?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Ironically, i just received my custom chip from harrissTBIchips today for my 87. Hope it does lottsa good!

for legality, I have no idea where you live, or even if I did??
Where I live its all good as long as you have papers that match the VIN. We can cut off the cat or whatever.
I'm not sure about the airbag, if your wanting to keep it or not. Personally, I don't like airbags, and wont have one.
You can just change the steering wheel and keep the column. Or, Pull the fuse too.
Putting airbag into an 89? no idea, woulnt wan too.

The 94 has a better frame and cylinder head design and exhaust system too, but the trans is computerized.
I took the frame & eng etc from a 95 right out, and swapped it under an 87 body. Then I re-used the 87 fuel system and computer. I use a 5 speed. Works real nice!
I got rid of all the airconditionong, power windows/locks etc and have the plainest blue plastic interior you can get.
But thats just me.

I've thought of welding in a set of seat pockets too, cuz my 87 is only a 5 seater. I would make long re-inforcements for the bottom, under the floor, and cut the hole and lay the pockets you cut outta the otter van on top from inside and weld or drill and bolt it all together so the bolts go thru the new pocket, the floor and a long reinforcing plate underneath. make them long so-as to prevent a rocking chair. 3/16x1.5x how ever long you can fit would be lottsa. Shouldnt be too hard if your into that kinda stuff.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I never thought of that - I could simply cut a large section from the floor of the 94 and install it into the 89 body. hmmmm I will have to look into that one. Thank you.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Well, I was trying to say that you would make 4 smaller holes, one for each pocket, cut out a bit of extra floor around each from the donor, but if you wanna try it in 1 or 2 bigger peices go for it. I suggest you have a good Look under the van first at the floor area and see what your up against. Some of them are a bit close to crossbeams in the sheetmetal, but you can put them wherever you like I guess. Good thing is the blank spots are stamped in the floor if you want the stock location.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

good point, I could use the blanks and then beef it up underneath, I will figure that all out when the snow is gone.